Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
3,785 Posts
I use NexGard and have never had a problem.

There is risk, however small, with any medication.
If you live in an area with ticks, and do not treat your dog, it will get tick borne diseases.

· Registered
Ramses, golden retriever bred in France 😆
761 Posts
Nexgard here too! Never had a problem with it. My golden has never reacted to it. I give it monthly and he's taken it like it's a "treat".

*as mentioned by @SRW, there's always a small risk with any medication but with my golden I have never had any issues...

· Registered
Coco, Labrador Retriever
43 Posts
We had been using Nexgard monthly without any problem for years. For the last couple of years we have been using BRAVECTO every three months and having no issues as well. Though there would be some side effect like any other medicine as mentioned by others, Coco, on his 14 years of age, is digesting these without slightest issue - so I vouch for them.

· Registered
5,034 Posts
I use Nexgard for flea/ticks. I give it on the 15th of each month and give Sentinel (for heartworms) on the 1st so my dogs don’t get an excess of medication all at one time. We live in the southern United States and definitely need tick medication here.

· Registered
761 Posts
NexGard Spectra, which also cowers heart worm.
Oh nexgard spectra - we use that too here in France, it's been approved by the EU . But I understand the US doesn't have it because the FDA hasn't approved it yet.. Has this changed -- can anyone confirm? I have experience with both and both had no side effects on my golden...

To the OP, Nexgard only covers fleas and ticks.. Nexgard Spectra - fleas, ticks, heartworm, and some other parasites (roundworms, hookworms etc)...

· Registered
3,785 Posts
Oh nexgard spectra - we use that too here in France, it's been approved by the EU . But I understand the US doesn't have it because the FDA hasn't approved it yet.. Has this changed -- can anyone confirm?
It is not yet approved.

· Registered
761 Posts
It is not yet approved.
Oh pity! I really hoped by the time I reached the US they would have approved it..😩 I really liked getting away with just giving one tabs. And I will have to take one of them tabs to the US before I even get to have a vet appointment in Portland.. I really hope they don't throw it away at customs and border control when I land 😬

· Jamie
793 Posts
I use Credelio and like it, I’ve also used Nexgard with good results. I don’t recommend getting one that combines heartworm protection with flea and tick as some areas are finding dogs on meds like simparico trio are still getting tick born diseases. Friend of mine just had two dogs have an issue and both were covered year round, luckily the company covered their vet bills.

· Registered
21,246 Posts
My last guy, Tito, we tried everything but his exposure between hunting and tracking was massive and he routinely got TBDs. Nothing works 100%. We tried probably every product on the market. It's a conundrum.
To the OP, don't you trust your vet? Generally, if you have a good working relationship with your vet, you can trust them to recommend what has been routinely found to be the safest and most effective treatment IN YOUR AREA. Different things work better in different areas, as the ticks have developed resistance to some of the products.

I use Credelio and like it, I’ve also used Nexgard with good results. I don’t recommend getting one that combines heartworm protection with flea and tick as some areas are finding dogs on meds like simparico trio are still getting tick born diseases. Friend of mine just had two dogs have an issue and both were covered year round, luckily the company covered their vet bills.

· Jamie
793 Posts
My last guy, Tito, we tried everything but his exposure between hunting and tracking was massive and he routinely got TBDs. Nothing works 100%. We tried probably every product on the market. It's a conundrum.
To the OP, don't you trust your vet? Generally, if you have a good working relationship with your vet, you can trust them to recommend what has been routinely found to be the safest and most effective treatment IN YOUR AREA. Different things work better in different areas, as the ticks have developed resistance to some of the products.
I don’t disagree with your statement but did want to clarify that I’m only talking about the combination meds not any specific brand. My one dog at a pro was on the regular simparica (not the trio) and did great and had nothing when he came back. MN has extremely high rates of TBDs so when vets start noticing trends about certain meds, I pay attention.

Since I train for field trials though I will say I’ve given up on anything but oral meds, with swimming so much it definitely seems like anything topical doesn’t last.

· Lead Super Mod + Administrator
3,405 Posts
I have used Nexgard in the past and currently use Bravecto 2-3 times a year. No problems with either. Pretty sure I’ve had more ticks than my dogs have in the last 5 years. 😅

I also use Sentinel year round for heartworm prevention.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts