Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just wandering what is the difference between them? like how easy are they to train? are they completely different to the golden in temperment and personality? The rason i'm asking is i'm considering getting one in the future. I like my dogs easy to train,placid and calm,accept other animals,trustworthy,faithful. I know they say there energetic but how energetic compared to the golden? Here in australia we have 3 colours of flat coated retriever yellow,black & chocolate. Would they be fine with 30 minute to an hours exercise day with most of the alk off lead runing and swimming. Any more information on the flat coated retriever would be greatful.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Flat are as easy to train and as loving as the golden but they are clowns and need a lot of exercise!.For me,their biggest difference is their color but the rest is pretty much the same!.My sister had one who grew up with her kids and was wonderful to them!.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Sorry I don't have much experience of looking after the breed...but thought this may help... http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/flatcoatedretriever.htm

I would think from my limited experience of them (I chat regularly to someone who owns 3 of them, they are sooo beautiful!) but I would think they would need closer to 1 1/2 to 2 hours exercise a day...I know my friend walks hers an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon and they gallop around off lead in the woods for the whole of that time and don't look worn out at all!

I know Carmen has a golden, Summer and Pheobe the flat coat pup...Im sure she will be able to give her experience!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts