Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
3 goldens
11,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JUST "MET" A NEIGHBOR ON HERE--LIVES OVER THE CAUSEWAY IN CORPUS AND IS A FISHING GUIDE. WE SWAPPED A LITTLE INFO AND i TOLD HIM ABOUT SOME FISH I HAD CAUGHT (HOLD MOST OF THE FAMILY RECORDS. SINCE I DON'T THINK I CAN POST THEM ON PM, WILL HAVE TO DO IT HERE.

TO MAKE YOUR FISH LOOK BIGGER AND MORE IMPRESSIVE YOU ARE SUPPOSE TO STRETCH YOUR ARMS OUT OUT IN FRONT OF YOU, GETTING THE FISH A COUPLE OF FEET CLOSER TO THE CAMERA THAN YOU ARE. I NEVER DID THAT. DON'T PAY ANY ATTENTION TO ME--AFTER I HAD SPENT TIME THROWING THE BAIT CASTING NET, HOURS FISHING, ETC, I LOOK PRETTY DARN SCRUFFY, AND OF COUE NO MAKEUP.

ANWAY, ONE IS OF ME WITH A 26: FLOUNDER i CAUGHT OFF THE PEIR AT cHARLIE'S PASTURE nOV. 1992. i ALWAYS DATE MY PICTURES AND PUT ON INFO THAT i HAVE. tHEN ONE IS OF ME WITH MY 30" 9 LB 15 1/2 OZ TROPHY SPECK TROUT. wHEN i CAME HOME WITH IT SON WANTED ME TO GET IT MOUNTED, BUT I TOLD HIM HIS DAD WORKED TO HARD FOR ME TO WASTE MONEY LIKE THAT. SO THEN HE WANTED ME ME TO FREEZE IT SO I COULD SHOW IT OFF. I SAID, NO THAT WOULD BE A WASTE OF FISH. SO HE TOOK SEVERL SNAPS AND THEN LATER THE FISH WAS EATEN. THIS SPECK WAS CAUGHT OFF THE SOUTH JETTY IN PORT ARANSAS AUG. L995

THE ONE OF ME WITH THE REDFISH IS RARE AS WE RARELY HAD A CAMERA. IT IS NOT MY BIGGEST--THIS ONE WAS 42 1/2" AND MY LARGEST THAT I GOT IN WAS 44". oN THIS DAY, MARCH 16, 1996, OUR SON HAPPENED TO HAVE HIS CAMERA ALONG AS WE HAD BEEN CATCVHING LARGE SHEEPSHEAD AND BLACK DRUM.

I HAVE HOOKED INTO THEM THAT TOTALLY EMPTED MY AMBASSADOR 5000 BAIT CASTING REEL OF EVERY INCH OF LINE UNTIL I SNAPPED AT THE KNOT AND ALL I COULD DO WAS HANG ONTO MY ROD AS THE FISH RAN OFF. I KNOW SOME HAD TO BE REDS, SOME BLACK DRUM, BUT OTHERS--WITH THE SPEED, I THINK ALONG THE LINE OF A JACK OR POSSIBILY KINGS.i HAVE NEVER BEEN DEEP SEA FISHING, MOST OF MY FISHING IS DONE FROM THE PORT ARANSAS JETTY, CHARLEIS PASTURE OR ROBERTS POINT IN LATE FALL, OR WADE FISHING IN REDFISH BAY.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Aw, fellow fishing woman. Nice catches!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Very very nice 3 goldens, Looks like you have got that fish catchin' down. We're very lucky to live on the coast. We have Fishin' and Goldens, can't say it can get much better.

Mike

·
3 goldens
11,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WHEN WE GOT TRANSFERRED DOWN HERE IN '88 WE KEW NOTHING ABOUTSALT WATER FISHING, DONE LOTS AND LOTS OF FRESH WATER, BUT NO SALT WATER FISHING. I HAD LEARNED YEARS AGO IF YOU WANT TO LEARN SOMETHING ABOUT FISHING, HUNTING (ACTAULLY MOST ANYTHING) LISTEN TO OLD TIMERS AND THAT IS WHAT I DID AND HOW I LERNED TO FISH SALT WATER, WHICH IS LOT DIFFERENT THAN FRESH WATER.

FISHING FOR DIFFERENT FISH CAN BE TOTALLY DIFFERENT. wITH FLOUNDER i LET THEM TAKE MY MULLET (OF JIG IF i DIDN'T MULLET) AND LET THEM "HANG ONTO IT" FOR A COUPLE OF MINUTES THEN SET THE HOOK. lOTS OF TIME THEY HAVE JUST GRABBED ONTO THE BIAT AND IF YOU TRY TO SET YOUR HOOK TO SOON, THEY JUST OPEN THEIR MOUTH AND YOU BET BACK A SLICED UP MULLET, OR TAILESS MULLET, BUT NO FLOUNDER.

THEN WE SEEM TO GO FROM FLOUNDER TO SHEEPSHEAD AND WITH THE, THE BIAT STEALERS THEY ARE, IF YOU DON'T SET YOUR HOOK AT FIRST HIT, YOU RE NOT GOING TO GET THAT SHEEPSHEAD. SO YOU HAVE TO GO FROM BEING SLOW AND BIDING YOUR TIME AFTER A HIT WITH FLOUNDER TO BEING ALMOST LIGHTENING QUICK TO GET THAT SHEEPSHEAD ORHE GETS A DINNER OF SHRIMP OR FIDDLER CRAB! aND YOU GET NOTHING. YEP LISTENING TO THE OLDER TIMES (HECK i WAS IN 40'S BACK THEN THEN AND ANYONE 60 OR SO WAS AN "OLD TIMER) TO ME.

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
It's good to hear there are a bunch that fish on GRF. I would love to see some pictures of your catches from different parts of the country and ofcourse pictures of you Goldens.

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts