Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Vet just told us that more than one fish oil pill per day for our dog would cause his blood to clot and also cause liver problems. I find this really hard to believe, what does everyone think?

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I don't know about that. Tucker and our GSD have been getting 2 capsules of Spring Valley brand fish oil a day for a long time and we have never had any problems. Tyson just gets one tablet a day now, but we plan on moving him up to 2 once he gets a little older. Our vet was the one who recommended two 1000-mg capsules a day. They get them with their meals.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
Where do you get that from Jo..I think maybe I should start Misty on some...but im not sure what and how much to give her...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know about that. Tucker and our GSD have been getting 2 capsules of Spring Valley brand fish oil a day for a long time and we have never had any problems. Tyson just gets one tablet a day now, but we plan on moving him up to 2 once he gets a little older. Our vet was the one who recommended two 1000-mg capsules a day. They get them with their meals.
I also found it hard to believe, Toby is 9 months and he gets 3 1000 mg pills a day and his fur and skin are so soft.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
A seminar I attended several weeks ago was given by a local vet who specializes in sports medicine and also breeds salukis and Irish Wolfhounds. She said fish oil is the one supplement she recommends across the board, and recommends a dose of combined EPA/DHA of 300 mg/ 10 pounds of body weight. I've had my springer, who is an AIHA (hemolytic anemia) survivor on fish oil for several years, and his lab work has been normal.

If anything, fish oil has ANTIcoagulant properties which is why it is so recommended for heart health.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts