Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone adds fish oil to their food regime? What kind to use? I'm considering adding Carlson's Fish Oil to my Maggie's diet.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
We use the Carlson's Finest Fish Oil (liquid). There are many articles on this is you do a search.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
All 3 of our dogs are on Spring Valley fish oil capules. They are 1000 mg each and are the human grade.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Not sure if the dosage is different for puppies but a sports medicine veterinarian I consulted with suggested it's 300 mg of Omega 3s for every 10 pounds. For my guys it equates to 1800 mgs. Take the DHA and EPA and add together for Omega 3 numbers. Make sure there is no extra Vitamin A in it because it can be toxic in high doses. Also make sure it is mercury free and has a USP seal on it.

My guys took the Costco Salmon Oil but recently we switched Barkley to this one, because we only need to give him 3 capsules a day:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11248464
Toby gets more of the salmon oil ones to equal 1800 mgs. He likes them better anyway. Right now he's off all of them until his tummy gets up to speed from his recent bout of colitis.

You may notice soft poop when adding or increasing fish oils to the diet. We were advised to add them slowly.

Also, if your dog is allergic to fish, best not add them to the diet.

I swear by fish oils--helped my immunity and my arthritis!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I use the human capsules for my guys too. They love to crunch them up. It's their favorite time of the day! Made the mistake of buying enteric coated ones once, they didn't go over so well because they didn't pop very easily at all.

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
We use Welactin from the vet...Chesters coat looks great and Murphy adult coat is coming in nice too.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I just use the store brand capsules. Murphy won't bite into them, so I have to squirt the oil out onto his food. Leave it to me to spoil my dog.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts