Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if fish/cod oil is a good thing to give Gracie in addition to the Glycoflex 3 that I just ordered? Does Glycoflex 3 have an anti-inflammatory amongst it's ingredients? Fish oil sounds like a useful supplement as an anti-inflammatory but not sure if it's necessary on top of Glycoflex 3...

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
We don't use Glycoflex, so I don't know too much about that, but any kind of fish oil is excellent for dogs. You can give regular fish oil, salmon oil, or cod oil. We use the human grade fish oil capsules on our dogs and they love them. They are 1000 mg each and we use the Spring Valley brand. Tucker suffers from dry skin the winter and he hasn't had a single problem with it since we started him on daily fish oil tablets a year ago. I started Tyson on fsh oil just a couple of days after bringing him home and he has done great with them. The omega 3 is great for them and it can even help prevent certain types of cancers in dogs. We always get compliments about how soft and shiny our dogs coats are.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We don't use Glycoflex, so I don't know too much about that, but any kind of fish oil is excellent for dogs. You can give regular fish oil, salmon oil, or cod oil. We use the human grade fish oil capsules on our dogs and they love them. They are 1000 mg each and we use the Spring Valley brand. Tucker suffers from dry skin the winter and he hasn't had a single problem with it since we started him on daily fish oil tablets a year ago. I started Tyson on fsh oil just a couple of days after bringing him home and he has done great with them. The omega 3 is great for them and it can even help prevent certain types of cancers in dogs.
I was wondering about human grade fish oil as that's what my wife and I take. We usually have a big bottle on hand so was thinking about tossing a single caplet in with Gracie's food once a day. Probably wouldn't hurt, eh?

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I was wondering about human grade fish oil as that's what my wife and I take. We usually have a big bottle on hand so was thinking about tossing a single caplet in with Gracie's food once a day. Probably wouldn't hurt, eh?
That's what we do! Actually, our vet told us that the human grade fish oils are higher quality that most of the oils made specifically for dogs because the human grade is higher in omega 3. He strongly recommended the human grade over the pet grade.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I give our dogs the same fish oil that our internist has DH and I use. (Carlson's Finest Fish Oil). You want to use a fish body oil, not cod liver oil. The important part of fish oil supplementation is the amount of DHA and EPA ( two types of omega 3s). I recently was at a seminar where the vet recommended 300 mg of combined EPA/DHA per 10 lbs..... which is what we do. (for our goldens that is between 1800-2100 mg EPA/DHA daily). You also want a product that is certified free of toxins and heavy metal.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what we do! Actually, our vet told us that the human grade fish oils are higher quality that most of the oils made specifically for dogs because the human grade is higher in omega 3. He strongly recommended the human grade over the pet grade.
Thanks, I'll give it a try. Any tummy issues?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I've had no tummy issues and I give glycoflex classic 2x a day and 1 1000 mg fish oil capsule (human grade) 1x a day--I've been doing this for about 6, 7 months now.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had no tummy issues and I give glycoflex classic 2x a day and 1 1000 mg fish oil capsule (human grade) 1x a day--I've been doing this for about 6, 7 months now.
Thank you very much. Gracie is only 2 but had major knee (TPLO) surgery 6 weeks ago. She's a big and tall girl (70 pounds) so want to help her recover from surgery now that she's off all medications/sedatives as well as avoid any future trouble. I've just ordered GlycoFlex 3 and wanted to make sure the fish oil would be ok in addition. Thanks for the advice...

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Recently I overheard a conversation, you don't want to give capsules, you want to feed the liquid. I missed the reasoning sorry. It may have to do with absorption.

I have been giving my dogs Timberwolf Organic Salmon Oil, however I guess until the next salmon harvest, they are out. I need to find something in the meanwhile. I can not believe the difference it has made in my girls.

Ann

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Recently I overheard a conversation, you don't want to give capsules, you want to feed the liquid. I missed the reasoning sorry. It may have to do with absorption.

I have been giving my dogs Timberwolf Organic Salmon Oil, however I guess until the next salmon harvest, they are out. I need to find something in the meanwhile. I can not believe the difference it has made in my girls.

Ann
Maybe I'll just squeeze the oil out of the softgel capsules onto Gracie's food just in case...

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Maybe I'll just squeeze the oil out of the softgel capsules onto Gracie's food just in case...
You can try giving them to her whole first. Our dogs always chew on them a few times before swallowing them. We usually just throw it in their food and sometimes we give it to them by itself as a treat (they love it). It has made a huge difference in their skin and coats. I'm even already starting to see a big difference in Tyson's coat and he still has his puppy fuzz.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
To answer your question about the anti-inflammatory properties of Glycoflex III, this study (http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/60842.php) seems to have demonstrated that it does.

About the fish oil, there is a major difference between cod (or other fish) liver oil and body fish oil. The cod liver oil contains both vitamins A & D while the body fish oil does not. Those 2 vitamins are fat soluble vitamins, which means they are stored in the body, not excreted in the pee. Because of that, using liver oil may lead to too high a level of vitamins A & D which can cause problems. I prefer to use fish body oil (human grade).

There is also a bit of controversy about liquid vs gelcaps. Because fish oil oxidizes quickly (and therefore looses some of its properties), some prefer to use the gelcaps. On the other hand, others say that the omega 3 fatty acids are altered in gelcaps due to the processing and that using liquid oil contained in glass bottles is better (plastic bottle leading to faster oxidation).

Right now I am using Glycoflex II (one a day for Flem, two a day for Spip), fish body oil gelcaps (2 1200 mg gelcaps once a day), and vitamin E (also fat soluble, 200 mg/day which is on the low side).

If you use fish oil, it is best to stop using it several days before any kind of surgery since it has anti-clotting properties.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
this stuff ok?

I've attached a link below to the stuff my wife & I take. Does it look ok to those who've been responding to this post? I'll just squeeze it onto Gracie's food. It's made of fish body oil, which seems to be desirable. What dosage should I give her? Looks like 3 gelcaps make up the listed ingredients. 3 gelcaps daily seems like a lot to give a 70-pound dog though. Remember I'll also be giving Gracie the full dosage of Glycoflex 3. Thanks for all the help...

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2208514

click on link or cut & paste

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
The link isn't working. However, as mentioned before, the doseage recommended by one of the local vets who specializes in sports medicine, is 300 mg of EPA/DHA (combined) per 10 lbs of weight. For our adult sized goldens that equals 2100 mg of EPA/DHA. We give that in addition to any glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM product.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The link isn't working. However, as mentioned before, the doseage recommended by one of the local vets who specializes in sports medicine, is 300 mg of EPA/DHA (combined) per 10 lbs of weight. For our adult sized goldens that equals 2100 mg of EPA/DHA. We give that in addition to any glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM product.
Thank you. I re-did the link but cut & paste worked too... Thanks for your suggestions...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Do you count the EPA/DHA in the kibble? I am feeding Acana Pacifica which is pretty heavy in Omega 3's but I have not been counting it because I wonder if it is still there and/or bioavailable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts