Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen plenty of threads on here about the awful posts on Craiglist, and have just come along something similar in our local paper.

Here's the ad typed exactly as it's printed (you'll understand the disclaimer):

"FREE to a good home. 1 yr old lab mix. Yellow. All shots and spaded. little timid, was previously abused. Needs some TLC. (phone number)."

POOR BABY!!! I want to help, what do I do? Call and suggest rescue? Where do I find the best local rescues?

Thanks!!!

·
RIP Sweet Skyler
9,306 Posts
I've seen plenty of threads on here about the awful posts on Craiglist, and have just come along something similar in our local paper.

Here's the ad typed exactly as it's printed (you'll understand the disclaimer):

"FREE to a good home. 1 yr old lab mix. Yellow. All shots and spaded. little timid, was previously abused. Needs some TLC. (phone number)."

POOR BABY!!! I want to help, what do I do? Call and suggest rescue? Where do I find the best local rescues?

Thanks!!!

Where do you live? Sorry it's not on your bio siggee. But, yes, by all means google "lab+rescues" in your area and then call and suggest they get intouch with some of them immediately. Thank You for your concern and help.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where do you live? Sorry it's not on your bio siggee. But, yes, by all means google "lab+rescues" in your area and then call and suggest they get intouch with some of them immediately. Thank You for your concern and help.
I'm in Connecticut (originally from your neck of the woods in Roseville!). :) I'm looking up lab rescues now. When I call them, what do I say? Do I just explain why a rescue would be better in terms of evaluating both the dog as well as prospective homes? Thanks!!

·
RIP Sweet Skyler
9,306 Posts
I'm in Connecticut (originally from your neck of the woods in Roseville!). :) I'm looking up lab rescues now. When I call them, what do I say? Do I just explain why a rescue would be better in terms of evaluating both the dog as well as prospective homes? Thanks!!
Just explain to them that Rescue is the compassionate alternative to just sending the dog home with a stranger. Especially in the case of dog who has a history of being abused. The dog needs to be evaluated, possibly given medical treatment, and then given a chance to show their personality so a loving placement can be found. And all of that's not going to happen by turning them over to the first person who shows up. If you have any problems finding a Lab Rescue please let us know in this thread so we can cross post some as well. (BTW - sitting in my office looking out at Douglas Blvd right now - LOL)

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I agree with Sharlin. He knows what he is talking about. One thing I always do when I see an ad on craigs list is to send them a post that rescues will really care about the dog in a home until a furever home is found.

·
2,472 Posts
I wonder if "spaded" means she was hit with a spade ?!...

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Kand

Kand

Email Labs4rescue in CT and as Steve said google Lab Rescues and contact them, but FIRST you should email the owners or call and encourage them to contact a rescue.

http://labs4rescue.com/
Labs4rescue, Inc., "Save a Lab, have a friend for life!"LABS4RESCUE is a volunteer, non-profit organization dedicated to providing a new life for ... Labs4rescue, Inc., P.O. Box 955, Killingworth, CT, 06419. ...
labs4rescue.com/ - Cached - Similar

http://www.thelabradorclub.com/subpages/show_contents.php?page=Find+A+Group
Find a Group - The AKC Parent Club of the Labrador RetrieverIf you do not find a rescue contact for your area, contact the LRC's ... Lake Erie Labrador Retriever Rescue (northern Oh), Lake Erie Lr Rescue/western Pa ...
www.thelabradorclub.com/subpages/show_contents.php?... - Cached - Similar

1 - 7 of 7 Posts