Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Jack is 1 year old and has been left for several hours at a time but never all day. My husband is retired and is home with him. He is leaving for a 2 week vacation and I have to go to work. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep Jack out of trouble all day while I'm at work. I am going to close off every room except the living room and kitchen but I'm afraid I won't have any furniture left when I get home. Should I leave the TV on Animal Planet or something?

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Do you have a crate? We couldn't live without ours. Leaving the TV or radio on might also be a good idea. We leave the radio on for our cats when we go on vacation.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
I'm told more dogs than people watch The Weather Channel during the day.

I never 'let' Penny watch Animal Planet because I was afraid Emergency Vets would scare her. ;) Seems they have even more 'out there' scarey programs now.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I would at least get a Carlson Gate and put it up so he stays in the Kitchen. 1 year old is too young for total freedom IMHO. He's still a dog and hasn't morphed into a human yet. That don't happen until 2-3 years in my experience.

And make sure the kitchen is entirely dog safe and guard well against counter surfing.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Normally I would suggest trying to work up to a full day length by leaving him for a couple hours, then 4, etc etc... has your husband already left for his trip or does he have a couple more days?

·
Simon & Shadow's Mom
860 Posts
" never 'let' Penny watch Animal Planet because I was afraid Emergency Vets would scare her. ;) Seems they have even more 'out there' scarey programs now."

I agree! I had it on one day and there was this AWFUL show with crocs fighting and wild animals attacking each other... I felt like a TERRIBLE mother letting my boys watch such VIOLENCE!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just wanted to give you guys an update. Jack was home for 10 hours by himself for 4 days last week and didn't bother a thing. I blocked off all rooms except the living room dining room and kitchen. He's such a sweet boy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts