Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! My husband and I are 1st time pet parents. Our 7.5 month old girl is the center of our world now:) Her name is Zia. She is lovely! very active, playful and happy 馃檪 We have been feeding Zia 3 meals a day-
Morning-RC puppy food
Afternoon-rice, boiled veggies, some soya chunks and 1 boiled egg
Night- rice and yogurt
Her current weight is 30kgs. The doctor said we should be cutting down 1 meal and give her 2 meals since she is already big. Since then we have been giving her 2 meals and make sure she gets 2 eggs a day, sufficient soya for protein, enough veggies for other nutrients and brown rice. Besides we give her fruits as treats. I am extremely worried as I many articles on over weight retrievers and life expectancy etc etc. She is my life, I really want to give her the best life that i can. But I am really worried that I have messed up!!!!!
P.S: we are vegetarian, so we don鈥檛 cook meat, however I occasionally feed her boiled chicken and just ordered some fish powder to add to her meal

Attachments

Registered
Its not the number of meals per day that's the problem but the cumulative quantity of food in a given day. Do you have a moral or ethical objection to feeding dog food? I see you feed it in the morning but vets will tell you to ease up on the 'people' food and make sure a majority of her food is from a well balanced and formulated dog food. You can also switch her off puppy food to adult or all life stage food. My dog gets 3 meals a day still (she's 13 months) and she hasn't even broken 60 lbs (26-27kg range). Breed standard for female goldens is 55-65 lbs at maturity. So I can understand why the vet wants a dog that weighs 66 lbs to slow down and take some weight off.

Registered
My wife and I also don't eat meat but in the case of our girl we feed her a balanced diet of dog food. We don't feed her people food. Dogs do require a different diet than people so I would agree that dog food would be a better way to go. I'm not an expert but I believe animal proteins would be better than soy. There are nutrients they will get from meat that I don't think will be in soy products.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much! I don鈥檛 have any problem in feeding her dog food it鈥檚 just that she has become very fussy in eating it. She seems to prefer home cooked food over her RC meal. However, I will shift to the adult feed and see if she likes it any better!

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Besides, any suggestions on the dog feed? Or Royal Canine is good enough? I also heard good reviews on Purina Pro.

Registered
So the pickiness is coming from being spoiled with people food. Stop putting toppers on her food and she'll stop being picky. No dog will starve themselves. I, personally, feed Pro plan 30/20 and have had zero problems with pickiness but my dogs are food hounds who think kibble is the cat's meow (also the cat food is double cat's meow those scamps). Our dogs get people food as treats (veggies, fruit, eggs, etc), but it's like a "rare" or "sometimes" and not a daily thing.

Registered
Same as above, people food is always a "treat" for us and that's usually a few carrots or boiled egg, but it's not an everyday thing. They'll start to expect it all the time and reject anything else you put in front of them. Cut back on it, let her get to the point where she'll have no other option but to eat her kibble and get back to a consistent feeding.

I use PPP as well, but RC and PPP are pretty common among Goldens.

Registered
I, too, would move to only dog food. You'll know you are feeding a well balanced diet and that she is getting every thing she needs. I feed Pro Plan, too, but RC is fine, too. If you do decide to switch to Pro Plan, do so gradually mixing it with the RC, gradually increasing the ratio of PP over the course of about a month.

Registered
If she is overweight, she also may not be as interested in the dog food because she just isn't hungry enough. I kept my cousin's dog for a couple weeks; she was overweight and they had been force feeding her because she wouldn't eat much and they were worried. When I kept her, I put down her food bowl in the morning for 15 minutes and then picked it up and didn't offer it to her again until the evenings; put it down for 15 minutes in the evening and then picked it up and she didn't get any again til morning. She went about a day without eating anything at all, then decided she was hungry and ate some of her food, then after a couple days she ate it when it was available. She simply wasn't hungry and they had been force feeding her thinking they were doing her a favor when all she needed was less food and a little weight loss. When you do switch her to only dog food with human food as an occasional treat, it is very likely she may not eat it well at first because she is trying to hold out for the human food, but don't give in, she will eat the dog food when she is hungry enough!

Registered
I'm going to go against the stream here and actually support the addition of "people food" to your dog's diet. If you choose to feed your dog a manufactured kibble you are essentially feeding them a food that has had all the life cooked out of them (that's one of the reason most have natural or artificial vitamins added back in - it's replacing the nutrients that are destroyed when the "food" ingredients are cooked). I've made a personal choice to feed a commercial raw diet, but I fully understand that that could be really hard for a vegetarian (not to mention messy and expensive). I support others' recommendations to move your puppy to one of the ProPlan products (which seems to be one of the better "main stream" kibbles not currently implicated in the DCM scare - which is a whole other topic), but I encourage you to add in some "real" "live" foods as well. There is a website called "Dog Aware" with some good guidelines, but some common healthy additions might include:

*Eggs (raw or lightly cooked)
*Any muscle meat (chicken, turkey, beef, etc.)
*Organ meat (liver, kidney, hearts, gizzards, etc - small quantities since they're rich and can result in diarrhea)
*Canned sardines, jack mackerel, or pink salmon (packed in water)
*Plain yogurt
*Cottage or ricotta cheese
*Canned pumpkin
*Veggies (Most need to be pureed or lightly cooked to be properly digested. Some good options include carrots, celery, kale, spinach, cabbage, broccoli, zucchini, parsnips, squash and celery. DO NOT feed onion!)
*Fruit (bananas, apples, berries, melon)

You can also add things like rice and pasta but since all kibbles are already high in carbohydrates (they have to be or they'll gum up the extruders), I've never seen the point in adding in more.

Note that you should not be adding so much of ANY of these things that they become a major part of your dog's diet. Think of them more like an occasional supplement; a "vitamin" to boost your dog's health. Too much of even a good thing can cause your dog's diet to become unbalanced, so make sure at least 3/4 of what she eats is a balanced (AAFCO-certified) commercial food. But a spoonful of canned pumpkin or a dollop of cottage cheese or a spoonful of canned mackerel or the pureed stems you took off your own broccoli dinner will both make her meals more appealing and add some living nutrients to her meals as well.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for taking out the time to give me your thoughts. Meal 2 times a day seems to be making her hungry enough! she now eats whatever is offered. Right now I have replaced one of her meals with RC kibbles. I will continue to monitor her weight and hope I am able to maintain it.
I was quite keen to shift to the Purina ProPlan. But in India it鈥檚 available only in two variations-ProPlan Optistart and Optibalance while I find so many options like Focus etc. in other parts of the world. That鈥檚 very sad.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
I'm going to go against the stream here and actually support the addition of "people food" to your dog's diet. If you choose to feed your dog a manufactured kibble you are essentially feeding them a food that has had all the life cooked out of them (that's one of the reason most have natural or artificial vitamins added back in - it's replacing the nutrients that are destroyed when the "food" ingredients are cooked). I've made a personal choice to feed a commercial raw diet, but I fully understand that that could be really hard for a vegetarian (not to mention messy and expensive). I support others' recommendations to move your puppy to one of the ProPlan products (which seems to be one of the better "main stream" kibbles not currently implicated in the DCM scare - which is a whole other topic), but I encourage you to add in some "real" "live" foods as well. There is a website called "Dog Aware" with some good guidelines, but some common healthy additions might include:

*Eggs (raw or lightly cooked)
*Any muscle meat (chicken, turkey, beef, etc.)
*Organ meat (liver, kidney, hearts, gizzards, etc - small quantities since they're rich and can result in diarrhea)
*Canned sardines, jack mackerel, or pink salmon (packed in water)
*Plain yogurt
*Cottage or ricotta cheese
*Canned pumpkin
*Veggies (Most need to be pureed or lightly cooked to be properly digested. Some good options include carrots, celery, kale, spinach, cabbage, broccoli, zucchini, parsnips, squash and celery. DO NOT feed onion!)
*Fruit (bananas, apples, berries, melon)

You can also add things like rice and pasta but since all kibbles are already high in carbohydrates (they have to be or they'll gum up the extruders), I've never seen the point in adding in more.

Note that you should not be adding so much of ANY of these things that they become a major part of your dog's diet. Think of them more like an occasional supplement; a "vitamin" to boost your dog's health. Too much of even a good thing can cause your dog's diet to become unbalanced, so make sure at least 3/4 of what she eats is a balanced (AAFCO-certified) commercial food. But a spoonful of canned pumpkin or a dollop of cottage cheese or a spoonful of canned mackerel or the pureed stems you took off your own broccoli dinner will both make her meals more appealing and add some living nutrients to her meals as well.
Thank you very much for the list!! This is very helpful! I will certainly incorporate these into her diet. And the resources on Dog Aware are great! Thank you very much!

Registered
Thanks everyone for taking out the time to give me your thoughts. Meal 2 times a day seems to be making her hungry enough! she now eats whatever is offered. Right now I have replaced one of her meals with RC kibbles. I will continue to monitor her weight and hope I am able to maintain it.
I was quite keen to shift to the Purina ProPlan. But in India it鈥檚 available only in two variations-ProPlan Optistart and Optibalance while I find so many options like Focus etc. in other parts of the world. That鈥檚 very sad.

I hear you. There are many more Pro Plan options in the US than in Canada, too.

That said, I googled the Optibalance, and it basically looks like Pro Plan Adult Chicken and Rice (which is I think a Focus food in the US and Canada). It is a good choice. It is a 26/16 Protein/Fat food which is just fine for a normally active adult dog.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17

I hear you. There are many more Pro Plan options in the US than in Canada, too.

That said, I googled the Optibalance, and it basically looks like Pro Plan Adult Chicken and Rice (which is I think a Focus food in the US and Canada). It is a good choice. It is a 26/16 Protein/Fat food which is just fine for a normally active adult dog.
Thank you for looking up! That鈥檚 helpful !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts