Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We picked up our big 5 month puppy yesterday. He is so perfect. I have a question for anyone who can help. He has been with his sister since they were born in August and he is so freaked out to be away from her. He is getting a boat load of love and hugs from our three kids and us as well but he does not move at all. I must pick him up and carry him outside to go bathroom and he will not come back in with out being carried in. When he is in his crate I must crawl in and pick him up to carry him out. I figure it may take some time and we are willing to wait. My only concern is that he is already to big for my wife to carry him and I must go back to work tomorrow. Also the breeder told us he was never on a leash so he is confused by it when I follow him around outside when he does walk a little. Any advice is greatly welcomed

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Is he used to 3 kids giving him boatloads of love? I would assume that it's going to take a while for him to settle into your home so that needs to be expected. However, is it possible that you and your family are unknowingly overwhelming him? I am sure you will get great advice from people on here about this. Congrats and take this quiet time to read all these "my dog just ate my ***" and make sure that your house is puppy proofed as he will come around. :)

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
LEave the crate door open when you want him out and let him walk out alone. He will do it eventually. Going into the crate might scare him a little. You can always give him treats to help.

My Scout hates the leash attached to his neck - so he wears a harness and it attaches to his back and he is much happier. You have more control as well and when training your not pulling his neck.

When you take him out have treats in your pocket...he should follow you for treats. Say come as your walking to the door and when inside tell him how good he is and give anohter treat. (don't let him know about the treat until your heading back inside)

Treats = can be a nugget of food. They are just happy to eat. :)

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
I am so glad you have your puppy...Im sure with patience he will gain confidence.

I would not reach in to call him out but rather lure him out... A five month old puppy should not be carried anywhere. Helped in and out of cars yes....but not carried.
The boatload of live may be a bit too much....have the kids tone it down and let the puppy come to them when he is ready...

For a timid pup I would use either a martingale collar that is properly fitted - too many timid dogs when frightened can and will contort and escape harnesses and flat collars That is unless the collar and harnesses are properly fitted (tight) and timid sensitive dogs usually dont tolerate a tight fitting collar or harness.

This post saddens and even angers me.... It is so unnecessary for your sweet puppy to have to go through this. When all it would have taken is some time, thought and care from his breeder to prepare him for life in the real world.

·
Registered
810 Posts
It is so unnecessary for your sweet puppy to have to go through this. When all it would have taken is some time, thought and care from his breeder to prepare him for life in the real world.
I was thinking the same thing.

Is he used to a collar? Maybe attaching a short leash to his collar and leave it on him to drag around the house (make sure the kids leave it alone) would get him semi-used to the idea of it being there and you can go from there.

I was also going to say luring him out of his crate. Give him a few days to settle in. It's a big change from what he's used to! Especially if the breeder didn't have kids.

Good luck! Keep reading this forum, it's got loads of great advice.

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
Ditto what others said. The crate is his safe place, and he should never be pulled out of it... he is in there because he is scared. Try using some delicious treats to lure him out and praise like crazy when he does. Give him some time alone and have your kids hand feed him lots of tasty treats or even his meals so he relates the kids with good things, and I'm sure he will come around shortly! :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Congratulations on your puppy. I agree with most of the other advice; he should not have to be carried. He is most likely scared and just needs time to adjust. Most goldens love to eat and the treats should help lure him. Best of luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the great advice. I should clarify I got him out of the crate only this AM, so he could go out after being in there all night but we will use the treat lure method in the future. The kids did feed him today and he loved it and he actually just chased the tennis ball a few times outside. Thanks again

·
aka Ali, Oscar's mom
493 Posts
Congratulations on your new puppy! I agree with the others about using treats to make going in/out of his crate a pleasant experience. You may find it easier to leave a leash/harness on him in the house so he gets used to it, and you can just snap on a leash when you need to. However, IMO you should take these off whenever he is left alone and/or before going into his crate (a collar/harness can get stuck on the crate which can be very scary & dangerous!).

I also agree that you pretty much should never need to lift a dog of that age, except into/out of the car or the vet's table or something like that. I am a pretty small person, so lifting 50lb Oscar is really tough for me, but I can do it fairly easily for a quick lift if I do it this way: http://www.petalert.com.au/faid/fa3b.php -- See the pictures for lifting with "ONE PERSON - LARGE DOG"
You kind of do it "calf-style", placing your arms on the outside of his legs and lifting slowly (bend with your knees and keep your back straight). I need to do this to get Oscar on the bed or into the car, but that's pretty much it. (Never lift a dog of that size like you would a child or puppy, especially from around the midsection.)

Best of luck & congrats again. I'm sure he'll settle into your routine soon! And pictures please!!! :D

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
What a CUTIE!!!!

First of all I agree with what has been said. Remember he is WAY overwhelmed right now. His world after 5 months has been seriously rocked. Allow him time and give him space.

We just got a puppy (lab) she is MUCH younger but she too was scared to death at first. Everything they know is gone. She was very shy at first. She had never been outside because it was too cold. She hated when we put her down to go potty. Because she was young and adaptable, it only took a couple days for her to become confident. It may take your boy a little longer, to become comfortable. However I firmly believe he will come around.

Ann

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Aww, he'll come around. His whole world has changed. Keep lots of treats and toys handy. Is his crate in a place where he can watch the family comings & goings all the while feeling safe? I remember when we first brought Hank home he'd lie under the desk in the kitchen and observe from there. He is now 6 months and weighs close to 50 lbs., a back breaker for sure!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He has not pooped yet is that normal under stress? He ate a cup off food today and a bunch of treats. He has gone pee a few times.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My puppy was born on August 27 and we named him Mako. I thought it was cute that your puppy is Fin and they are the same age.!!!

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
He is adorable! He will come around, but it may take some time. He hasn't known anything but him and his sister. What happened with her?

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
How is Fin doing now? Better, I hope.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fin is acting like a normal 5 months old now. :bowl: Likes to chase the ball non-stop and is really enjoying all the attention the kids are giving him. He is still shy around other people than our family but is warming up. He went to the vet today and weighs 49 pounds. The vet was worried about his hips and suggested he take Glyco-flex and eat a large breed puppy food. Anyone else taking the Glyo-flex?

His sister was kept to breed later. I again want to thank you all for the information and support this site is awesome.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts