Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I am a first time golden mommy. We found our little guy at a nice breeder in S. Illinois and fell in love. We had decided to add a golden to our families because of the research we had done on breeds. We had participated in bully breed rescue for years and had recently lost a dog we had rehabilitated for years. I wanted a dog I would not have to worry about agression and to have a life long family member. We chose a golden. I have done quite a bit of research on the breed and training. We found this little guy and fell in love with him, though he was a bit skittish. We have been working with socialization, but he is fearful of larger dogs and will often growl. He is 11 weeks old today. We start puppy school soon and I hope this socialization with help. I need ideas and personal stories to reassure me that this is normal for a pup. I am trying to socialize him every day with walks, and meeting new people and having good experiences. I am trying to be a confident leader in this as well. Thanks!
Cher

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
5,617 Posts
Welcome from Michigan! You are doing the correct thing taking him to puppy school. You should continue on up from Basic to Advanced Obedience. All of this will help you with a well rounded Golden. There are lots of threads on here that will help you with your puppy/dog. Good luck! Please post some pictures when you have time.

·
Mary
170 Posts
My puppy was a little older than yours, 8 months old, when we got him. He didn't seem to be socialized at all. He had never been on a leash, so when I tried to walk him, it was quite the job. He would walk with his tail between his legs, and if someone walked towards us, he would try to turn around and walk the other way. When he saw another dog, he would get super excited, and bark. (He came from a home with multiple dogs, and I think he just wanted to play)

He was wary of anyone that would come over the house, to the point he would run away and hide from them. I don't think his previous owners even took him out of the house. He's still a work in progress, now 22 months old, but he's come a LONG way. I think you're on the right track with your pup. A class for him will be great. And take him everywhere you go, so he gets used to things. The more he comes in contact with, the less fearful he'll be. Good luck to you, and I'm sure others with young pups will chime in.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Congrats on the puppy!!! I too am a bully lover turned to golden lover. It sounds like you are on the right path keep socializing him and I do believe with time and encouragement on your part your puppy will come out of his shell in no time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
thank you all! We have been taking him everywhere. Now when he sees another dog, he just watches it. THe only time he growls is when the dog is too close. He hasnt growled at anyone that aproaches us, but some people he runs up to and wags his tail, and others he backs up and is weary of. I am not sure yet what is causing the different reactions. I know the high pitch "awwe" is one thing that scares him LOL. I have some friends with some laid back adult dogs, after the puppy school starts on Tuesday, I plan to start visiting them and having play dates. I want to first have his reaction in front of a trainer so that I correctly handle any reaction that he might have to my friends dogs. I hope to survive the puppy stage LOL.. hes a ninja!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts