Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi friends,

The answers I've found on this site in the last 18 hours have been a lifesaver, thank you!

A beautiful but misunderstood 5 1/2 mo old white Golden has been through a few homes and a recent few weeks stay at a vet's office in his short little life, sadly due to owner inexperience and misunderstanding of normal puppy behavior--resource guarding, excessive chewing and biting and general puppy exuberance.

I am the lucky adopter (yesterday, Dec 14) and am so ready for this challenge after losing my wonderful Lab last year, my youngest child just graduating from college and having a dog-friendly workplace! I have had countless dogs in my life but never a Golden so I could use some guidance to help this pup, Barkley, thrive. We also have four cats and a few parakeets at the moment.

I have SO many questions and will continue to search threads for answers and I really look forward to connecting with other Golden people! TY in advance and Happy holidays!
Diane (and Barkley)

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Welcome! It sounds like Barkley has found the perfect home. I got my Golden when I became an empty nester and he filled my heart with so much love. It's so nice you have a dog friendly workplace too. Goldens love to be with their people. I'm looking forward to seeing photos of Barkley also. Congratulations!

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There are lots of people here with rescue experience or just years of Golden Retriever experience so if you can't find help in a previous thread don't hesitate, to ask.

·
Registered
400 Posts
good luck and have fun! amber is not only my first golden but my first pup. where do you live? we are about 15 minutes south of Saratoga springs.

AMBER THE PUP.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2,952 Posts
Sounds like the beginning of a wonderful story for for Barkley and your family!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Welcome! I love hearing about people like you who gives a pup, who’s been through so much, a chance to have a happy forever home! It’s so sad to hear his life’s been rough, but at least he’s in a good place now. I’m also a 1st time golden owner of a 9 mo old pup. I’ve also had several labs in the past, but I can say that I’m sold on Golden’s after having Aidan. I was dogless for the 10 yrs and wanted a pup but was afraid of it being too hard to train and take care of a puppy. This site has been so helpful and I’ve learned so many things. It’s not always been easy and some sleep has been lost , but it’s 100% worth it! With proper training, your little guy will learn fast as they are super smart dogs. One thing on your side is that he wont Have to go to the potty every hour like an 8 mo old pup, ha! You’ll get lots of great advice here. I’d love to see pics of Barkley!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts