Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I grew up with dogs but always had a rescue or a dog from a family friend. This is my first time going through a breeder and it's a bit overwhelming, especially during this time! My priority is HEALTH. I am not looking to have a dog in competitions, just one with OFA clearances to ensure he is healthy. It seems like health records/AKC papers could be falsified though?

I know how important it is to research everything and I am finding limited information on Patti* Potter from McBear Golden Retrievers. She is located in Southern California. After extensive searching I also found PotA'Gold Golden Retrievers in Michigan established by Patty* Potter (but now the daughter manages?). The different name spelling*, different states, and lack of information online makes me hesitant to pursue Patti Potter in Southern California. However I did find a lot of information on K9data on her dogs but sometimes there were only 2 out of 4 OFA's listed. Or CERF was listed, which I couldn't figure out what that means.

Any information at all would be helpful! I'm also known to overanalyze and think I might be doing that here as well.

THANKS SO MUCH for any help!!

·
Super Moderator Leader
50,880 Posts
Welcome!

Here is a list of SoCal Breeders to get you started-

You can also contact the GR Club in the area(s) you're willing to travel for a pup for a Breeder/puppy referral-

If you're looking for a pup in N Cal, if you use the forum search feature, search for Northern California Breeders or NorCal, and threads will come up you can read through.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I have reached out to the GR Clubs in Northern California and San Diego. I will contact LA soon. Norcal has nothing at the moment and am waiting to hear back from San Diego - I know everyone is searching for a dog right now! I will also try searching the forums more. I did that for a few hours yesterday and was still very confused/lost. The recommendations I did find weren't fruitful either - again such a large demand!

While one friend recommended her to me, I'm still holding out hope for another positive recommendation for Patti Potter. 🙏

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
CERF is an eye exam that hasn't been available for 5 years now or so.
Someone else may recall when the last CERF was done but it's been a very long while.

While the breeder is super important, and it needs to be the right fit, if you post sire X dam registered names that might cut this breeder out from the get go so save you time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know the mom would be either:

McBear’s Bindi Sue
McBear's River Rose
McBear’s Little Lulu

I thought the sire was McBear but all names have McBear in it. I will need to find that out!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CERF is an eye exam that hasn't been available for 5 years now or so.
Someone else may recall when the last CERF was done but it's been a very long while.

While the breeder is super important, and it needs to be the right fit, if you post sire X dam registered names that might cut this breeder out from the get go so save you time.
Thank you for the CERF clarification and additional info!

·
Registered
424 Posts
From the OFA website: "The American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists (ACVO) designated the OFA’s Eye Certification Registry as their endorsed registry as of November 1, 2012, and in mid-2014, CERF discontinued its services completely."

I really wish people would quit saying that they got their dog's eyes CERFed. It's really a pet peeve of mine.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
McBear is the kennel name. All three dogs have the four main clearances, BUT Bindi Sue and Little Lulu have out of date eyes on OFA. they should be redone every year and the last clearance on OFA was done in 2018. It’s possible they were done but not sent in to OFA, so you can ask the breeder about that. River Rose got her clearances in 2020. But there’s a “breeder option” on the eyes. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than I am can take a look and let you know whether or not this is a big deal. Overall, I’m not seeing huge red flags, but definitely ask about the eye clearances...

·
Registered
949 Posts
Thank you! I have reached out to the GR Clubs in Northern California and San Diego. I will contact LA soon. Norcal has nothing at the moment and am waiting to hear back from San Diego - I know everyone is searching for a dog right now!
I'm in San Diego, and just recently went through this process. The GRCSD does not provide breeder recommendations. They only will recommend a litter, after the breeder submits info the sire/dam and the GRCSD vets the litter's pedigree and health background. Don't hold your breath.

One approach I almost took was to find a breeder that "hit all the right quals", and then ask to hire them to help me in my search. Honestly? I wish I had thought of it earlier, it would've been money well spent.

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
On that, people ask me all the time to let them pay me to find them a good puppy. I always say no, for multiple reasons, and if they insist insist, I tell them to donate to the Golden Retriever Foundation and they usually do. My multiple reasons include fellow breeders - no one likes someone acting as go-between, and no one likes someone critiquing their program, taking the place of the breeder in the education process. So what I end up doing is giving people names/contacts and letting them know for sure I am not taking the place of the breeder just advising. And still years later, often have relationship with these folks who honestly make me weary sometimes because they didn't put in the effort w real breeder of their dog.

·
Registered
949 Posts
On that, people ask me all the time to let them pay me to find them a good puppy. I always say no, for multiple reasons, and if they insist insist, I tell them to donate to the Golden Retriever Foundation and they usually do. My multiple reasons include fellow breeders - no one likes someone acting as go-between, and no one likes someone critiquing their program, taking the place of the breeder in the education process. So what I end up doing is giving people names/contacts and letting them know for sure I am not taking the place of the breeder just advising. And still years later, often have relationship with these folks who honestly make me weary sometimes because they didn't put in the effort w real breeder of their dog.
I'm good with that. My recommendation about hiring a "finder" was based on my experience of not being able to get names and contacts. Then again, maybe I didn't ask properly?

When I was considering this, my intent wasn't to try to get a "turn key puppy", but to leverage "insider knowledge" (based on my impression that the breeder community seems fairly aware of "who's doin' what") to lessen the hit-and-miss search that I was experiencing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is a bit of time since you posted your question and hope you found a dog. I have an almost 8 year old McBear golden and she is the best dog! She's healthy, happy, spunky, and beautiful. I would get another dog from Patty in a heart beat (I've tried to, but have trouble getting a hold of her). Our dog came with all the exams and clearances and we could have registered her with AKC.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts