Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday, Cody was not himself all day – very lethargic. He threw up in the morning and wouldn’t eat.

Matt and I took him to the vet first thing Monday morning. The vet did a body exam. Cody gums were slightly pale. The xray showed an enlarged spleen, misshapen liver and “bow” stomach from the enlarged spleen pressing on it. Blood tests showed anemia, high white blood cells and high monocytes. The diagnosis is Splenic Hemangiosarcoma.

He is getting an ultrasound on Wed 30th but is worse today and his gums noticeably whiter. Cody turns 13 on Dec 16th. I’m hoping we can have one last birthday but I will not have him in pain or discomfort just for that. We will not be doing any extreme measures – no surgery, no chemo, he’s too old.

The sun rises and sets on this dog. My life has revolved around him since we picked him up on Valentine’s Day 2004 at the age of 9 weeks. We done everything together. He’s lived ever day of his life at Mach 9 until Sunday. I hate seeing him like this.

I can’t think or breathe.

Connie and Cody :wavey:

·
Registered
405 Posts
So sorry to hear this. Our lives revolve around these dogs. It is so hard to see them unwell and not themselves.

Not much I can say to you other than be strong and enjoy the time you have with Cody. May the rest of his time be free of pain and suffering and filled with love from you.

·
Mandy's Mom
1,488 Posts
I'm so sorry for Cody's diagnosis. No advice other than to love on him and take as many photos as you can. Do you know what to look for if he's having a "bleed"? Did they put him on anything for the hemangio?

Cody certainly is a handsome winky boy.

(My bridge girl Flirty lost both eyes to PU and eventually died from hemangiosarcoma, I know just how you feel. It's just not fair.)

Reactions: Cody'sMom

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm so sorry. I followed your PU story and Cody has done so well with it all. I think we go to the same vet, Dr. Joe. They are such caring people in that practice. I hope you can get some quality time with your precious Cody. He's such a trooper! Thoughts are with you.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
I am so, so sorry. There are no words.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm so sorry for Cody's diagnosis. No advice other than to love on him and take as many photos as you can. Do you know what to look for if he's having a "bleed"? Did they put him on anything for the hemangio?

Cody certainly is a handsome winky boy.

(My bridge girl Flirty lost both eyes to PU and eventually died from hemangiosarcoma, I know just how you feel. It's just not fair.)
I read Flirty's PU thread a year ago right now when Cody was diagnosed with his PU. I had wondered what kind of cancer Flirty passed from.

I do not know what to look for if he's having a "bleed". The vet has not put him on anything for the hemangio yet. The blood tests just came back last night and Cody has an ultrasound on Wed, then we will have a meeting right after the ultrasound to discuss treatment options.

Any advice you have?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm so sorry. I followed your PU story and Cody has done so well with it all. I think we go to the same vet, Dr. Joe. They are such caring people in that practice. I hope you can get some quality time with your precious Cody. He's such a trooper! Thoughts are with you.
Yes, Dr. Joe at Briarwood! He is great and so is his staff. Dr. Joe removed Cody's eye in April - excellent job and Cody recovered so nicely.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I'm so sorry about your beautiful boy's diagnosis. I hope you have much more time together, and you get to celebrate his birthday with him. Hugs.....

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
An excellent Thanksgiving Day

Cody had an excellent Thanksgiving Day! :D

He ate ALL his breakfast dog food and we went for what we thought would be a short walk, but he wanted to do his full walk through the trails. He trotted a few times!

He ate a good dinner with chicken and mashed potatoes topping and hung around in the kitchen to lick the dishes before they went in the dishwasher like he usually does.

He was less spunky today but I will take any day over last Sunday.

·
Super Moderator
4,233 Posts
I am just seeing this and am so sorry! It is just not fair after all he has gone through. Asia has an enlarged liver and high enzymes and we are waiting for more tests in January so we may be facing a grim diagnosis as well although she isn't showing any symptoms of late other than increased water intake.. I am glad that Cody perked up at Thanksgiving and that you have more time to love and spoil him. So sad:( I love the recent pics of him!

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Cody

Cody is so beautiful! Praying for him and you!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Joanne and Asia and Karen519,

Thank you so much for checking on us. I am just now seeing your posts.

I am so sorry to tell you Cody has gone to Rainbow Bridge.

After being diagnosed with cancerous hemagiosarcoma of the spleen just before Thanksgiving, he did well off and on and still wanted to go for his walks in the field.

I started having to extend out his collar a few times because his neck was enlarging. We could tell then the cancer had spread to his lymph glands.

He had a great 13th birthday on December 16. Then over the next two days he severely declined, his bottom lips were swollen and he died 3 days later on December 19.

I just hadn’t been able to bear to post his passing. It’s been 2 weeks today.

Cody was everything to me. My life revolved around him and he was SO much fun. I am so proud that he was able to walk in the field off leash his whole life. We did so much with him.

I took him to obedience classes and he earned his Canine Good Citizen certificate. I was thrilled! I taught him to trot next to me while I rode my bike. We’d go to the dog park, walk with neighbor dogs, go to the pet store.. you name it, we did it! Then Matt retired when Cody was 5 years old and Cody thought it was the greatest thing having his dad home with him all the time too.

Cody had a perfect dog life and we had a perfect dog. Our hearts are broken. His ashes are in a beautiful wooden box with his paw print on top.

Below are a few of Cody’s latest and best pictures from this year.

We love you and your Goldens so much. Hug them tight for me.

Love,
Connie and Cody at Rainbow Bridge :wavey:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I'm so very sorry to hear of Cody's passing....It's hard to find words........

1 - 20 of 35 Posts