Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all my name is Kevin, I found this forum over the weekend. I blame it on my wife, which is another story I will get into after!

I am the proud owner of Nash, a happy and healthy 3 year old male. My wife surprised me with "him" as a wedding present after we got back from our honeymoon. She isn't a dog person at all but knew that I was 100% a golden lover. Since I had been yammering about what I wanted since we had bought a house a few years prior she had an idea what to look for. I had a honey colored female golden as a boy and my parents had just gotten two very light cream/white colored golden pups so I had fancied a darker male. She hunted til she found a breeder that had a litter of 12 darkish pups of which 11 were males! her priority being coloration and pups for me to choose from she didn't take "breeder" into account. Luckily she knew enough to NOT think about a pup from a store/mill but when we pulled into the driveway for "her coworkers party" it turned out we were in fact at a backyard breeder. I met the mother and a male from a previous litter. All of the pups turned out to be more of a medium gold than the darker shade of the mother. I had somewhat of an idea how to check temperament and was surprised how easy it was to lose track of which was which. 12 pups that only 2 had ANY differentiating characteristics. the runt was a female who was spoken for. She was by far the best pup of the litter and I would have scooped her up had she not! my next choice based on temperament turned out to be the largest of the litter. He was big enough that at 8 weeks old a tennis ball was not a challenge for him. I obviously wasn't "prepared" for a dog that day but who could say they will come back after they pick up some supplies?? On our way home we picked up all of the requirements including a crate. the next weekend he got a full fledged initiation into our family by going up to our family 4th of july weekend party. my parents two goldens and my brothers aussie and chihuahua mix were all in attendance. Nash was the center of attention and he loved it. luckily house training was a non-event as he cried at the door from day one! I attribute this to the summer litter spending most of its time outside.

fast forward 3.5 years, a few training classes and a new baby (born 1 year exactly from the day we took nash home) and to the reason I found this forum. My wife and I were going shopping for some decorations for my sons new "big boy" room. just a couple doors down is a puppy store that my son likes to look at so we agree to take him afterwards. When we go in my wife tells me "look honey they have two golden puppies, want to take one out?" I have a strict "no touching puppies at puppy stores" policy because I have zero self restraint and will fall in love. Well she tells the woman to get one and it lands right in MY arms. :eek: So Here I am smelling puppy breath of a 9 week old little girl who is very sweet and just adoring being pet with no puppy nipping...... and the wife brings me back to reality shutting me down completely. PHEW! I think she did it just to punish me for something though!

But now I've got the bug. Although I had good luck with Nash I would like to look at a more reputable breeder in the western mass area. Only thing I have to do now is convince my wife :D

I've got some pics of nash, should I include them here or post in the pictures section??

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Hi Kevin adn welcome to the forum. I know resisting puppy fever is sooo hard but you will happy in the long run for looking for a good breeder. I feel bad for pet store animals but there are so many reasons not to buy from there. I wish there was some way to outlaw seling animals that way.

Nash sounds like a real gem. Yes I would love to see pictures and I will look for them in the picture section.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks General, I just realized I posted all that in the wrong section! silly newb I am :eek:

I did post some pictures in the pictures section!

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,074 Posts
Welcome to you and Nash to the forum!!! You did well to walk out of the pet store without the puppy.

Although all 3 of my boys are from BYBs, and I couldn't ask for better boys, our next puppy will be coming from a reputable breeder.

We look forward to seeing pictures of Nash!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts