Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

First Morning Walk Attire

2K views 31 replies 28 participants last post by  Deber 
#1 ·
I noticed something this morning and was wondering if I am really THAT lazy, or if my neighbors are just superficial. When I take Maggie out for her first potty of the day, I rarely get dressed...I normally get up, throw on a coat and a pair of Crocs over my pajamas and go. No brushed hair, no makeup. I noticed that our neighbors always take their dogs out in full makeup and cute outfits. They ALWAYS have their hair done perfectly. Even on their days off. I was wondering if you guys take your dog out in full dress, or if my neighbors just do it because our building is on Capital Hill and my neighbors are all professionals and trust fund babies.

#4 ·
I, for one never have time to do the full dress thing. When they gotta go, they gotta go. I've been known to go out in my nightshirt and rubber boots.

#5 ·
LOL. Well, let's put it this way -- I'm thankful that it's still dark when I take Riley out for his first potty break of the day! :p:

When it's warm, I throw on shoes and I'm out there in my PJs. If it's cold, I'll take the time to throw on a pair of sweats and/or a jacket and we're out the door.
I figure he really has to pee when we get up, so I'm not going to make him wait while I primp. It's 5:00 in the morning and my boy has to go, so I don't really care what I look like.

#8 ·
And that's my point...Maggie's last potty of the night is at 10pm, and her first of the day is at 8am...that's 10 hours! Maybe it has to do with the fact my neighbors are all part of the "Teacup crowd" (teacup yorkies, teacup poodles, a teacup Chihuahua!!) and view their dogs more like accessories of their outfit. Its just strange to me that someone would take that kind of time and effort just to walk their dog...not to mention, wear 6 inch heeled knee high boots...but, maybe golden owners expect more mud and rough-housing on walks than teacup chi owners do.

#10 ·
ummm flannel jammies...white fluffy robe...bucket hat...pair of gloves and in the winter...my Sorel winter boots and a cup of coffee....quite a sight!
I do manage a shower and some clothes to walk the neighborhood...but that first potty break of the day strolling around the yard...no one else should be up that hour other then joggers or dog people....dog people dont care and the joggers are moving too fast to notice. ;-)

#11 ·
Oh, H*ll no, coat over jammies if it's cold. If I'm going away from home, I put on sweats under the coat. I've been know to feed and turn out horses in my robe and winter coat. So easy to get right back to loafing when I get back in!

I put on full make up and hair for the show ring...that's about the only time!

#12 ·
I think there's something to be said about the breed of dog people choose. I get the feeling that most of the people on this forum are kind of down to earth folk that care more about things like family and having fun with life than they do about how people perceive them. Goldens are the same way - they don't care what people think of them, they just want to have fun and be loved.

I'm not saying every chihuahua owner is a materialistic barbie, but you certainly never saw Paris Hilton walking around with a golden retriever or a black lab....

#17 ·
I think there's something to be said about the breed of dog people choose.

I have always thought that.

And, though I am not lumping Chi/yorkie/poodle owners all together, there IS something to be said about those who seek out the "teacup" label and proudly brag about it...you should see the teacup chi..it is the saddest looking thing I have ever seen...that puppy does NOT look done. He could DEFINATELY have used another few weeks in utero...

#14 ·
Some people I know w/mini dogs use peepee pads for nighttime or early morning potty, and then take them out for a walk later. I don't think they make a peepee pad big enough for my girls.

Besides, what's the first thing you do when you get out of bed before you throw that coat over your PJs? Exactly. And, they're going to wait patiently with their legs crossed for you to shower and put make up on? Not at my house.

Reactions: C's Mom
#18 ·
I usually dress before I take them out in the mornings, but on the rare occasion when one of them wakes me during the night to go out, it's what I can find with the least effort. In bad weather, I have a 25-foot leash to let them out so I can stay inside the doorway. Now, the night Lady encountered a skunk at 3:00 a.m., I went into the yard in my underware to take her to the outdoor kennel run. Glad it was summer.

#19 ·
Pj's coat, slippers.....and not in the backyard. I have to walk down the street to get to Izzy's "spot" where she goes. I don't care who sees or what they say.

#20 ·
Lol, I always go out in my pajamas (and usually a coat, now). I don't even bother brushing my hair... I just roll out of bed and out the door.

#23 ·
I feel so close to you all. :eek:

I actually bought my current PJs because the bottoms are black and look like wide legged yoga pants - and it makes me feel like no one knows they are my PJs! Because, seriously, it is roll out of bed, put on my glasses (ugly), and add a sweatshirt and jacket if needed, for that first out of the day. Thankfully, I just have to take her to the area behind our townhouse complex, but I inevitibly bump into neighbours, or the groundskeeper...

#24 ·
pjs for me, most of time flannel patterned (midwesterner, can you tell), so there's no question they are pajamas--and even though we have a fenced yard, I still take her for walks in the neighborhood without changing into "real" clothes or putting on make-up. I don't think Maya notices, and her's is the only opinion I care about!

#25 ·
First time out is just into the fenced backyard. I go with them in my PJs. Coat and shoes, if I'm lucky, but not always... depends on the urgency! Morning walk is not pretty either. Sweats, bright neon orange jacket (it's hunting season!), hat, gloves. Pups don't seem to care:). Maybe the neighbors don't recognize me? Then, I come home and shower and make myself presentable for the day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.