Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! We think our 7-month-old pup may be going through her first heat but, unlike other goldens we've had, we haven't noticed even a drop of blood and the timing seems quite early compared to others we've raised. I checked to see if her vulva is swollen, but she becomes nervous and pulls away. Overall, her vulva is quite red (probably from cleaning) but I don't know what to compare to in terms of swelling. I'm interested in your thoughts on behavioral signals and other signs you've noticed if you've had a young dog go through her first heat cycle.

We recently noticed a behavior shift and, originally, we chalked it up to her puppy development. She's also abruptly and frequently cleaning herself, and recently began tucking her tail when laying on her back for belly rubs or playtime. Regarding her behavioral changes, she's normally an extremely mellow puppy and had (somehow) never chewed through toys, etc.. until now. She's chewing apart absolutely everything, including her harness and six of her toys in the past week and a half. Again, she's never chewed apart a toy before this. On the other end of this anxious spectrum is her recent clingy-ness. She's normally quite cuddly, but it's been more clingy than usual, often whimpering if we leave the room or something. Taking precautions, we've been sticking to walks and fetch to expend her energy, rather than dog parks and public areas with other dogs.

Without having seen blood, and uncertainty about swelling, does it sound like she's in heat?

·
Registered
40 Posts
My bitch came into season at 8months. Have you dapped tissue on it? I noticed she swelled so i got a piece of tissue and dapped it on her vulva and there was a bit of blood but she didnt bleed heavy enough to drip on the floor. She didnt behave differently though but everybitch is different.

·
Registered
8,829 Posts
White paper towel- wipe her every morning- one of the mornings you will see a discoloration even if you don't see bright red blood. All you have to do is put one hand under her belly to keep her in place, and wipe with the other hand.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts