Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, we just brought home Trooper, he is my first foster and a hospice case, so I will need plenty of advice, encouragement and emotional support. I am already in love with this guy.

Trooper is 11 yrs. old and was diagnosed with lung cancer (both lungs) and an enlarged heart. He has some stiffness in the rear end and a little wobbly. Unfortunately my HW and tile floors are a little slick so I have put mats all over for him. He is a sweetheart and just wants to be with us and petted. We had a little dinner altercation with Darby last night - all my fault just wasn't thinking but this morning he was fed separately (different room with a gate) so that was pretty smooth. He also growled a little at Darby last night over a toy so I took it and made all toys "mine". Seems to have worked although now Darby is thoroughly intimidated. Kirby just seems worried and confused. She has tried to get him to play but he just isn't able too. Any suggestions are welcome. Today they are all tired, it was a big, long day yesterday. So I figure just let them slowly get used to each other and let Troop get more comfortable in the house and with our routine.

So introducing Trooper -

Having a nap in the den
IMG_0022.jpg

A little later with a few toys
IMG_0174.jpg

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,583 Posts
God bless you, this is going to be an experience and journey that will be both heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time. Trooper's a beautiful old gold.

My Bridge boy that I lost in Feb. of this year, was basically in hospice his entire last year with us. He had many good days mixed in with several difficult and trying days.

My only advice to you, is give him the time, the space he needs, and make him as comfortable as possible. I think in time both Darby and Kirby will realize that he is sick and will adjust when they are around him. My Roxy seemed to know her brother was sick, she was very gentle around him and with him.

I have wood flooring and tile in my house also, we put a lot of rugs down for my boy and also kept several beds in the down stairs area for him. I live in a raised ranch, my hubby built a ramp for him to use when going up and down the stairs. We had to help him up whenever he needed to get up-he had arthritis in his hips and back legs, once he was up, he did pretty well. We continued to walk him everyday as much as he could handle which seemed to help.

It takes a special person to do what you are doing for Trooper-my thoughts are with you. Trooper sounds a lot like my Taz, he just wanted to know that we were there for him.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Awww my heart goes out to Trooper and God Bless you for taking him. I'd just focus on spoiling him and loving him up as much as possible. Your boys will be OK if they get their special time too. It doesn't sound like he probably has alot of time left, dear boy. Thank you for making it wonderful for him.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Bless his heart - please give him a big hug and kiss for me. A big thank you for helping this guy.

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,583 Posts
Awww my heart goes out to Trooper and God Bless you for taking him. I'd just focus on spoiling him and loving him up as much as possible. Your boys will be OK if they get their special time too. It doesn't sound like he probably has alot of time left, dear boy. Thank you for making it wonderful for him.
Great advice Debles, Trooper will remember this time with you.

Each day with an Old Gold is so very precious, make the most of every minute you have with him. Make this time count in everyway possible.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Muddypaws

Muddypaws

God Bless you for taking Trooper in and giving him a very loving home for the time he has left.

I agree with Debles, just spend some extra time with Trooper loving him up.

I wonder if he'd like some Frosty Paws Ice Cream. (Doggie Ice Cream)

Reactions: Muddypaws

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trooper update

I swear this guy has a big heart because there is so much love in it. He is already velcro. At least there is no competition for my lap (Troop can't get on the couch) so I have a lap warmer (Darby) and a foot warmer (Trooper) and Kirby... well she just paces and wants to go out (and in, and out, and in) :)

Trooper followed me upstairs this morning and helped change the sheets, much to Mellie's chagrin. Changing the sheets is interesting with a cat on the bed giving you a dirty look. :bowl: But we did it and everyone was fine. Troop got all bouncy and excited then suddenly had a little vomit, 1 piece of kibble and a little fluid. Took a few minutes to clam him down - his breathing is a problem due to the cancer. But we just waited and DH cleaned it up (;)) and he was fine. We went outside to explore the back yard, lots of leaves down now so Troop and Kirby had fun in the leaves then he found a nice mud hole to rest in (Goldens will be Goldens). He just helped me vacuum the whole downstairs and is resting near me now. Later we will go out to play chuck-it, he wanted me to stay out earlier to play ball, so cute. But I got to clean bathrooms, finish laundry and get groceries (we need to eat).

Thanks for the support and advice, I don't think we are special, it was just beyond us to leave this guy in a kennel after loosing his family and home.... he needed us and we love him already.

I will keep updating and I hope to get some more pictures this afternoon!

·
& Sawyer's & Quinn's too!
2,740 Posts
Bless him, and you. What a heart-wrenching story. I'm so glad he has you to show him so much love in the sunset of his life.

Reactions: Muddypaws

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Thanks for the support and advice, I don't think we are special, it was just beyond us to leave this guy in a kennel after loosing his family and home.... he needed us and we love him already.
But you are special! It takes a big heart and a strength of character to take on a senior foster with problems. Not many people in this world will give their heart away so willingly knowing their charge may not be here for long. Trooper thanks you as do I. I wish you guys the best!

·
Mom to 9 :)
2,383 Posts
First, thank you for opening up your hearts and your home to Trooper--there are so many seniors coming into rescue right now and it breaks my heart, especially since I can't take them all.

I agree that while you know you are going to get your heart broken in the end, the love you will receive from Trooper will be so worth it. Our last few goldens have all been seniors--Beau, Mike, Rosie, and now Susie (the last two both AGA permanent fosters coming to us for hospice care). We were blessed to have Beau in our lives for 7 months and Rosie for 9 weeks; they both left us knowing they were loved and wanted. Mike our big red boy, is still with us and Susie, our velvateen dog, just joined us a few weeks ago (she is in similar shape as Rosie was, ~13 years old, HW+, deaf, bad hips/spine, little bit of incontinence). While I have cried my heart out when each has crossed over, I would do it all over again.

Other than unfettered love and attention, good food, and a warm bed, the other issues that crop up due to their particular illness(es) you just kind of have to work through as each one is a little different. Please feel free to pm me if you have anything in particular you would like to discuss as I love to talk about these wonderful dogs.

Here are some pics of my seniors Mike, Rosie, Susie, and Beau.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,583 Posts

I will keep updating and I hope to get some more pictures this afternoon!
I use to help with Intake for one of the GR Rescues here in NC that closed down in Jan. of this year. It use to upset me so much when we were contacted about a Sr. Golden that either the owner wanted to surrender or one that had been turned into a shelter.

I had my Sr. boy, the Intake Coordinator had 2 Srs. and the Adoption Coordinator had 2, we were all so partial to these Seniors and it broke our hearts whenever we found out about one in need.

We took in several Hospice cases over the years, we had one Volunteer that was a retired Nurse that took care of them. She was a very special person.

Trooper sounds great, I hope he has lots of time with you to get spoiled , loved on and enjoy life.

·
Premium Member
18,410 Posts
But you are special! It takes a big heart and a strength of character to take on a senior foster with problems. Not many people in this world will give their heart away so willingly knowing their charge may not be here for long. Trooper thanks you as do I. I wish you guys the best!
I'll second this, well said!

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
While I have cried my heart out when each has crossed over, I would do it all over again.

Other than unfettered love and attention, good food, and a warm bed, the other issues that crop up due to their particular illness(es) you just kind of have to work through as each one is a little different. Please feel free to pm me if you have anything in particular you would like to discuss as I love to talk about these wonderful dogs.

Here are some pics of my seniors Mike, Rosie, Susie, and Beau.
When we adopted Sunny we new she had a bad heart and after the cardio exam it was such a blow. But my girl beat the odds and made it to 1 month shy of her 8th birthday. She was a truly inspirational girl, it's been over 5 years and people still tell me how much they miss her. I will always miss her but don't regret a second or a dime and would do it all over again. I think Sunny is our inspiration for helping Trooper, yeah it's gonna hurt but it will be worth it he's a special guy.

may not get the pictures today, they are all napping now that I have my chores done and want to play!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts