Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have recently decided to get a GR for my family. I got him 3-4 days ago and he is the first dog we ever owned. He has been a few times to the vet already and I am taking him tomorrow as well. However, I do have a few questions for you guys since I cannot wait any longer and my online research did not give me plenty of answers.

1) I did some research and I found out that he should be around 4-5 kg by this time (9-10 weeks). He weights around 2.5-2.6 kg. He doesn't look very skinny (see pictures below), but when I pat him, it's quite clear that he is underweight since I feel his bones. Is this odd or bad? He seems healthy and he likes to run and especially to play, quite a LOT. I would not describe him as being scared for interaction, but quite the contrary. Question: Is he very underweight? Possibly unhealthy underweight? What should I do to make him gain some weight? He eats dry food. I have him only 2 times some canned junior wet food.

2) Secondly, I was under the impression that barking at this time is uncommon. However, our puppy barks quite a lot, even when playing with us and when he is using his mouth to drag an object which resists him (ex.: my oversized t-shirt). He also barks when we leave home and leave him alone for a little bit. Should he be barking like this?

3) In the last picture, you can see a small red-ish discoloration around his mouth (I drew an arrow). He has the exact same color on the other side. So they are symmetrical. Nothing to worry here, right? I suppose his color is changing fast anyway.
And secondly, I encircled black-ish spot under the fur, on the skin, with 1 or maybe 2 long hairs coming out from it. He has two more, one on the other side of the jaw and another under his chin. I couldn't look very close cause he was moving all the time, but it is either a mole or some kind of pimple, I think. What do you guys think?

4) Is his black belly normal? (5th picture)

5) Lastly, do you see anything weird about him in the pictures? He is a GR, right? He is not a mixed-breed dog?

Sorry for my confusion and my lack of knowledge. I hope you guys have a few minutes to try to answer at least some of those questions. Thanks a lot!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
I can't answer all your questions, but I don't see anything abnormal with your pup.
Black belly is normal. http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com...standard/34857-puppy-belly-turning-black.html
The "mole" I think is perfectly normal as well.
If you've only had him 4 or 5 days and have taken him to the vet so often you are "over anxious".
Some puppies bark, some don't. My Duffy was the quietest dog I've ever owned until someone moved in next door with a female golden retriever and now he has suddenly decided he must bark every time he suspects she's outside to announce his presence.
It really isn't that important what the starting weight is when you bring home a puppy. With a golden, you are watching for signs of steady, slow growth.
The concept is to feed them to maintain around a 1 lb. gain per week between birth and 4 months.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The people we got puppy from told me to feed him twice a day which we did first few days then we went to vet appt and she said he still needs 3 times a day, that was when he was 9 weeks old. He is 4 months now and she said he can go to twice a day now. He seems so hungry though so we add a bit more at both of them. Gaining just fine and we don't give table scraps or other foods besides his and treats.

If your puppy is small it seems the vet in one of these visits would have told you how much and how often to feed him.

I was a bit worried the first few weeks to, as time goes by you will relax.

·
Registered
510 Posts
The bumps with long hairs on either side of his face is normal. I think it helps them sense objects in the dark. Black belly is fine. Pup looks great, and yes, that is how a golden pup should look. Did you really mean you have had him 3-4 days, or did you mean something else? If you have had him to the vet several times in 3-4 days, you will go broke in no time. Even though Amber came with a check-out slip from the kennel's vet, we always take a new dog for a check up from our vet, too. He likes to get acquainted with them to get a baseline report to compare with if they do develop a problem.

·
Registered
104 Posts
He is adorable. What is his name?
He looks so much like my guy did at that age. He was very tiny too, but wasted no time in catching up.
He seems normal in every way.

Oh, my guy was a barker too. Still is, but not in excess.

Enjoy him! The puppy stage goes by way too fast!

·
~*Kristina*~
319 Posts
Our Bailey (girl) LOVED to bark as a young puppy when she was about that age! I called it the backtalk bark. She's 16 months now and only barks when I tell her too or if she is over the top excited about something. Your pup is cute! Have fun with him!

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
We just had our first litter, and the little girl we kept was actually barking the first day she was born - I was shocked, did not know it was possible, and now at 14 weeks, started out barking constantly, to not barking as much - but still barking more than any other golden we have had. She is just more demanding than the others.

Reactions: nolefan
1 - 7 of 7 Posts