Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newton's brother came around for a play! Obviously boys will be boys, but Newton's ear got bitten a bit hard and he now has a cut on it. We gave him a bath, but should we be putting anything on it to help it heal? He's only 8 weeks old so I'm probably just over-fussing?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Ohhhhh, poor Newton! Give him some extra love tonight. I'm sure it's just a small cut though, just looks so bad when you see all the blood.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was definitely more upset than he was - it's not cut all the way through, but I feel like a bad mum already, we've only had him 1 day!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, it was on the inside, just at the tip - it stopped bleeding quite quickly, I think it looked worse than it was because he was quite damp from rolling around on wet grass.

Should we still let the two pups play rough with each other, or should we stop them if they 'wrestle'? They were obviously together full-time until yesterday, so I'm guessing their behaviour is quite normal and we shouldn't worry? (Don't want to turn into an over-protective mum)

·
Premium Member
18,600 Posts
It's totally normal for them to wrestle and chew on each other, they will learn how much is too much. It's great socialization for them to play together. The only time I would intervene is if one is consistently getting bullied, but as long as they are equal opportunity playmates it's all good.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Comet tore a dew claw out once. I thought some sort of massacre had occurred in the house. I never saw so much blood. It was everywhere. Kitchen Floor, living room carpet, the bed, bedroom carpet, everywhere.

I was working at my desk in my office and I turned around and the floor was just covered in bloody paw prints.

All that from a nail.

·
Went Rogue...
599 Posts
It's totally normal for them to wrestle and chew on each other, they will learn how much is too much. It's great socialization for them to play together. The only time I would intervene is if one is consistently getting bullied, but as long as they are equal opportunity playmates it's all good.
I totally agree & very well said.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone - you've made me feel a lot less guilty :)

......and he's absolutely fine, he's not worried and you can hardly see it now.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Hank's brother comes to play once or twice a week. They always play rough. Since they are evenly matched in size we don't interfere. The cut ear was just a accident, usually there's no blood drawn in these wrestling matches. Now that they've gotten a little older they don't bite each other as much but run together and get into trouble...like the fish pond and digging.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts