Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

First days home w/new pup

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Sweet Girl 
#1 ·
Next week I should be bring home Eos (or Maia) from the breeder. I'm a bit worried about removing her from her litter mates. Just that familiarity and 100% play with each other. I plan to meet up at least once with a friend that has a boy from the same litter. But after a few days I am going to a different home for about a month. I want to get her mostly potty trained there. There is a park on the next block over so we will spend time there.

Any tips on removing a puppy from Mom & brothers & sisters? Are there typical problems? Besides sleeping i guess

#3 ·
you can pass your breeder a stuff toy or blanket to put with his littermates & mom for awhile so that when you bring your puppy home, he can have an item with some familiar scent on it- something like a security blanket. above all be patient as she will be leaving everything she knows behind and she's just a little baby.

Enjoy your new puppy and post pictures!

#4 ·
How exciting, a puppy! Most pups transition well from the litter to their new families, but it can take a week or two for them to settle into the new routine. One thing that has always worked for me has been to have the pup sleep in a crate in my room, close to me, so that if he whines or whimpers at night I can just put my hand into the crate and calm him.

A comment about potty training. A young pup doesn't have control over the muscles that regulate elimination, so accidents are inevitable. When a pup has to go, he has to go. Take her out often - every 30 minutes or so at first - to minimize the accidents. If she has an accident in the house, clean it up properly and move on. I assume your pup will be about 8 weeks (2 months) old when you get her. She will start to have some control over the muscles at between 3 and 4 months old - i.e. between 12 and 16 weeks. It's completely unrealistic to expect her to be "mostly" potty trained within a month, by the time she's 3 months old. Most dogs, regardless of what you do or don't do, will become reliably clean in the house at between 5 and 6 months of age. However, she should be able to last overnight, when sleeping, by 10 to 12 weeks of age. Until then, you might have to take her out a couple of times during the night.

Best of luck and enjoy her!

#5 ·
Thanks ceegee

I am planning on having Eos in the room right next to the bed. Eventually want the pup to sleep in the bed. All of our Goldens have slept in our bed. But they were a bit older too. Some would start out and then get down after a while. Thanks for the info on the potty training. It's been a very long time since we had a puppy. I must have glossed over how long (and how easy) it was to potty train. Better stock up on Natures Miracle!

#6 ·
Keep in mind... almost all puppies (with the rare exceptions) leave their litters and mother to go to their new homes. It is sort of a natural transition in their lives, and as long as it doesn't happen before 8 weeks old, it generally goes fine, with a period of adjustment of a few days. Don't expect your pup to be super relaxed and at ease in your house and with your family right away. She might seem distant or unsure for a few days - that is totally normal. Just be calm and natural, gentle and loving to her, and she will transition just fine.

At the moment, you probably should not be planning to meet up with the friend with the boy from the same litter (social distancing). Bottom line, most pups leave their litters and never see their siblings again. It sounds harsh and sad, but they really do fine. YOU become their new family and source of comfort.

Reactions: shadco and Scrapr
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.