Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night we put up our tree...fingers crossed that Nico can leave it alone! She will be 1 year on the 19th, so this is the first time she's been aware of a Christmas tree in the house. She's very curious about it but we are working on the leave it command and I'm hoping I can just train her to stay away from it. We only have lights on it for now, so adding ornaments might be a whole other story!

How do your dogs handle the Christmas tree?

And now for the obligatory photo...last night we had a little photoshoot with her (involving LOTS of treats) and got this great shot of her with a string of lights.

Attachments

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Other than Hank's tail knocking ornaments off, we never had any problems.

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
Only advice here is to not put out any ornaments that can't be replaced. If there's a tail incident, and something goes crash, no worries!

·
Jill -- Maisie's "Mom"
563 Posts
Great photo. This will be Maisie's first tree, too, at 6 months old. We'll be putting our daughter's old unbreakable toddler ornaments on the lower branches of the tree to prevent tail wagging and paw swatting accidents.

·
Registered
586 Posts
What a beautiful picture! I would love to get some shots of Maya if she would just slow down! I put a fireplace screen in front of our tree this year because it's in a corner. So the ornaments so far have been safe from any tail wagging, and Maya has shown no interest in it....yet..........

·
Registered
618 Posts
Nice photo. We haven't put our tree up yet, but we'll probably be doing so this weekend. Being JJ is still only 6-months old and can get pretty wild at times, we're going to get a smaller tree then usual and we're going to put it on a small table behind a gate in the corner of the living room. I can't trust his enough yet to leave a christmas tree alone, plus he's at that age where he's ignoring me at times and acting like he doesn't know what he's been taught.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Only unbreakable ornaments on low lying branches, and nothing edible. Also, we put the tree in a corner of the room and then put the xpen around it. When my son was a baby the tree went inside the playpen. Same principle.

·
Registered
608 Posts
What a sweet photo :) We haven't put up our tree yet, will do in the next couple of weeks. Not sure what Molly will make of it but we will also be practicing the "leave it" command I expect :)

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
Nice photo. We haven't put our tree up yet, but we'll probably be doing so this weekend. Being JJ is still only 6-months old and can get pretty wild at times, we're going to get a smaller tree then usual and we're going to put it on a small table behind a gate in the corner of the living room. I can't trust his enough yet to leave a christmas tree alone, plus he's at that age where he's ignoring me at times and acting like he doesn't know what he's been taught.
That's exactly what we did the first Christmas with Max. It worked out perfectly, he couldn't get to it and showed little interest after the first day.

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Beautiful picture...we are getting pictures done of Koda this weekend and I need to get some lights to do this shot for sure!

We put ours up last weekend and I am shocked how well she has done with it. Never had interest in it, which is very odd for her! We make sure not to play close so the tail isn't an issue. I did leave ornaments off the bottom layer so she doesn't have the temptation for those shiny objects! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts