Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
We are taking our 10 month old(today)Golden(Chance) to Texas with us.
It is a 14 hour drive. Chance is great in the car except for one thing....
he gets car sick(I'm guessing) and sometimes throws up.
This will by far be the longest time he has been in a car.
Of course we are going to make stops for water, potty breaks, and stretching his legs.
But do any of you have any suggestions on how to prevent him getting sick in the car? We usually try not to feed him right before he gets in the car.

We will be leaving at midnight so half of our drive will be during the night(which I'm hoping will help).

Thanks

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
2 pills of dramanine at 11 PM. Good luck with that!! I myself spent 30 dollars on the expensive doggy kind to ensure an uneventful not drooly 3 hour xmas trip. Next time you take a trip that long, you might want to splurge on that kind of medicine. Good luck and have a happy holiday!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
When my husband and i were moving from Washington state to Rhode Island we had our 5 month old puppy with us. We asked for advice and the one thing that worked for us was that he only ate when we stopped for the night. 3 days of one smaller meal didn't phase him at all and he never got sick. Maybe skip his last meal before you guys were to leave and then just feed him when you get to your destination? I'm sure you'll receive a lot more helpful tips here on this forum! I hope you have a safe uneventful trip!

·
Registered
304 Posts
We have a van & I always line the floor with beach towels (just incase kids or pups spill or throw up!) and it makes clean up much easier. Will he be in his crate or a puppy seat belt? We also put those puppy pee pads down since they have plastic behind....when ours was a pup they would occasionally pee inbetween stops, but always on a pee pad. Our van is one of those big ones (friends call it our living room on wheels!) but it saves the day traveling with kids & dogs from TX to FL twice or more a year to visit family.

I second the recommendation of limiting food for upset tummies. And our vet said to offer water little bits at the time, don't let them gulp except for at rest areas. Just put a small amount on a saucer or we took a tiny plastic bowl & just covered the bottom for them to wet their lips good.

good luck!!

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I have a big trip ahead of us too. We are picking up our puppy over this coming weekend, she is in MN about 13+ hours away. Now that will be an interesting drive. We are making two days to come home with her so we can plan to stop and let her stretch her legs. She was 8 weeks old yesterday. So we will be having an adventure too. I am hoping she does not get sick.

Ann

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Dont feed him except for his morning meal before you leave that night. Hopefully he is growing out of not getting sick. I agree put down towels or a shower curtain for him in case he gets sick. It makes cleaning up easier. The vet has some doggy downers that can help.

·
Registered
185 Posts
car sick

Spirit used to get sick every time she was in the truck till she was almost 2. It was a big problem because we travelled back & forth to the campground all the time, so I didn't want to give her any real medication that much.
A friend told me about crystallized ginger. I would give her a couple of pieces 30-40 minutes before any ride and it worked wonders for us. Stopped all the terrible drooling and the throwing up. I bought it in the bulk section of the grocery store--a bit pricey but who cares if it works!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
We will be doing a long drive with our puppy when he/she is btwn 8 and 12 weeks too, so please let me know how your drive to pick up your puppy went, and if you have any suggestions for someone who will be in the same boat! I hope it was totally uneventful:)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Spirit used to get sick every time she was in the truck till she was almost 2. It was a big problem because we travelled back & forth to the campground all the time, so I didn't want to give her any real medication that much.
A friend told me about crystallized ginger. I would give her a couple of pieces 30-40 minutes before any ride and it worked wonders for us. Stopped all the terrible drooling and the throwing up. I bought it in the bulk section of the grocery store--a bit pricey but who cares if it works!!
I have a friend with a show dog who would get car sick on occasion and she gave her a couple of ginger snaps before they would leave to go to a show--usually an hour or two before they would start their drive. She told me the ginger helped settle the stomach acid.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
If he crate trained, have him in the crate and set it up so he can't see out. A lot of times dogs get car sick b/c what the eye sees doesn't match what the inner ear is processing.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts

OMG I LOVE YOU!!! If this works anyways!! That 30 dollar for 2 doses meds kept him from throwing up but he drooled like a MANIAC!! On the way home we used dramanine and he did much better - some drooling but not near as much. When I read you said terrible drooling I thought, oh yes! Someone who understands!!! I am so going to try this. I would LOVE to take Max with us so many places but he gets so sick it's hard to a/ put him through that b/ put us through that!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think you meant sit it up so he can see out the window. If he can not see out and he feels the car moving there is no way for the eyes to compensate for what the inner ear in processing. Like on the water, you want to see the horizon if your sea sick.

If he crate trained, have him in the crate and set it up so he can't see out. A lot of times dogs get car sick b/c what the eye sees doesn't match what the inner ear is processing.

·
Registered
185 Posts
OMG I LOVE YOU!!! If this works anyways!! That 30 dollar for 2 doses meds kept him from throwing up but he drooled like a MANIAC!! On the way home we used dramanine and he did much better - some drooling but not near as much. When I read you said terrible drooling I thought, oh yes! Someone who understands!!! I am so going to try this. I would LOVE to take Max with us so many places but he gets so sick it's hard to a/ put him through that b/ put us through that!
Spirit would drool so much she would be totally soaked on her chest---I would have to dry her off with a towel. I can't say enough about the crystallized ginger----it really does work so well. Poor girl hated to get into the truck because she knew what was going to happen!! You may have to experiment with how much to give--but at least it won't make Max dopey or be harmful in anyway. Let me know how you make out.

·
Boudiga
4,102 Posts
even though Faith doesn't normally get car sick when we take her on 12+ hour rides we usually give her dramamine and it helps settle her tummy and keeps her kind of sedate/tired which helps us too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts