Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 18-week old pup Louis has enjoyed his first beach trip- didn’t get him in the water past his knees (waves too unpredictable) but he has LOVED digging in the sand, running around like a mad man, and playing with new doggie friends by the ocean. Hoping to entice him to swim tomorrow!
Water Dog Shorts Beach Carnivore

Water Dog Sky Dog breed Carnivore

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
With the swimming... be careful what you wish for! Our boy loves the beach and swimming. I can't keep him away from the water (unless he's on a leash). Also, you probably know this but it's worth mentioning: drinking salt water is very bad for dogs. Too much salt water intake can escalate to a fatal condition pretty quickly. Even dogs who don't look like they are actively drinking from the ocean will get water in their mouths from waves, retrieving, etc. I've found that the best way to limit this possibility is just to limit my boy's time in the water. 30-45 minutes total on the beach (not all of it actually swimming in the water) seems like enough, without being too much.
Don't mean to be a killjoy - playing on the beach makes our dog SO JOYFUL - which in turn makes me happy, and brings smiles to the faces of many others on the beach.
Happy New Year!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Our 18-week old pup Louis has enjoyed his first beach trip- didn’t get him in the water past his knees (waves too unpredictable) but he has LOVED digging in the sand, running around like a mad man, and playing with new doggie friends by the ocean. Hoping to entice him to swim tomorrow! View attachment 888158

View attachment 888156
Oh the joy on your puppies face is so uplifting. We live by the beach in the UK and no matter what is going on when I take Teddy to the beach his joy is infectious and always brightens up not only me but passers by.

I bet your puppy was spreading the joy too and making others day that bit brighter.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With the swimming... be careful what you wish for! Our boy loves the beach and swimming. I can't keep him away from the water (unless he's on a leash). Also, you probably know this but it's worth mentioning: drinking salt water is very bad for dogs. Too much salt water intake can escalate to a fatal condition pretty quickly. Even dogs who don't look like they are actively drinking from the ocean will get water in their mouths from waves, retrieving, etc. I've found that the best way to limit this possibility is just to limit my boy's time in the water. 30-45 minutes total on the beach (not all of it actually swimming in the water) seems like enough, without being too much.
I actually didn’t think about that aspect of drinking salt water through retrieving and swimming so thanks for pointing it out! Obviously we discouraged actual drinking and provided plenty of fresh water. His poop was really soft the first day and I got worried but it went back to normal the second day. He never ended up swimming but I think the exposure was good anyway- he wasn’t so fearful after playing near the water for a couple days! Maybe another trip.
And we came back to wild weather in NC- and his first snow today! What a difference 24 hours makes, ha!
Dog Snow Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog

·
Super Moderator Leader
54,188 Posts
He's certainly had a chance to experience the beach and now snow in just a few days.

No snow for us on the Coast, but there are a lot of areas around me that are flooded.

Another thing you want to watch while at the beach, if he's digging a lot, he can ingest a lot of sand. Sand can cause a blockage which warrants a trip to an E Vet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts