Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as I have posted before, my dear daughter and BFF now have an eleven month old Great Dane Puppy. She is a beautiful dog and I do love her.

But she is a major drama queen and PITA. They just left (thank you God) and I must tell one story about her. We were at the dog trail Sunday morning and she was stalking and pinning Abby at every turn. Cara was not paying as much attention as I was, and I saw Lola (the Dane) heading for Abby full force.

Finn decides enough is enough and he takes Lola out. I mean he flipped her (almost twice his weight), cold cocks her, dusts himself off, nods to his sister as if to say "I got your back". And he moves on.

But Lola screams in hysteria. I said it's OK Cara, she is just winning her Oscar. Ignore it.

No e-vets were visted this weekend. Lola is fine. And I am now going to take a nap (with Abby AND her man Finn.)

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Way to go Finn. That is the way to care for your sister.

Love most of our relative's dogs too, but boy it is good when back to just my own, so know your feelings.

Reactions: Abbydabbydo

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Be very careful with that happening in the future. Danes are extremely susceptible to neck/spinal injuries at that age. It can lead to wobblers which is a devastating condition. Even a little hit can be dangerous. It's different when the Dane slams another dog, they're expecting the impact...but when they're hit by another dog and not expecting it, that's when the damage can be done. Just a heads up...

Edited to add: I hope you told your daughter what happened...that Lola screamed could mean something happened but the problem will come up later. Danes seem very strong but in ways of bone and spinal issues, they're very, very fragile.

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I gotcha on this kwhit and we are mindful of it. Bot Lola also needs to learn some manners. Danes have such a rep for being laid back that people don't realize they go through normal puppy behavior. By all accounts she is fine today, all dogs are holiday worn out. :).

It is funny how I have gotten used to Lola's head on the counter and in a way she is easier not to trip over. She actually took a nap with me yesterday and the Bumpasses were fine with it. It is just not in Abby's DNA to defend herself, but it is in Finn''s, lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts