Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of this breeder? I can't find any information online about them.
I'm a momma to 3 Goldens, and the newest is Molly--a 4 year old puppy mill mom saved from Ohio by a local rescue. Turns out that she is AKC registered as "Finding Tine Goldens Molly."
Seeing as she was labeled a "puppy mill mom" I'm assuming this is not an ethical breeder at all, but I was expecting to find something online about them.
Breeder is listed as Brenda Hostetler.
Thanks!
Dana

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I've never seen this site, but it looks like Sophie is full sister to my Molly. Same birth date and parents.:) Was hoping to find something out about the place she came from (the actual Finding Tine Goldens), but again, not surprised. The foster mom said something about Amish folks, so not sure if she was in that type of a situation. Glad she had to have a c-section and couldn't have more babies/was no longer of use to them. We love her so much! Thanks again!

·
Registered
8,064 Posts
If you have Molly's paperwork you can input her to k9data and under honorifics you can note she is a former whatever you want to call it- it might give a heads up to folks looking at that kennel name.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone heard of this breeder? I can't find any information online about them.
I'm a momma to 3 Goldens, and the newest is Molly--a 4 year old puppy mill mom saved from Ohio by a local rescue. Turns out that she is AKC registered as "Finding Tine Goldens Molly."
Seeing as she was labeled a "puppy mill mom" I'm assuming this is not an ethical breeder at all, but I was expecting to find something online about them.
Thanks!
Dana
I just purchased a golden doodle puppy from a Brenda Hostetler in Wilmot Ohio. Her actual address in Dundee Ohio. Great lady, fed good food, required I have my vet check him within 7 days and if anything life threatening was wrong she would refund or give me another puppy. Signed a contract. Beautiful puppy in great health

·
Registered
8,064 Posts
Breeders who mix breeds are not good breed preservationists....obviously. I'd wager your puppy's parents didn't have the clearances required for safely breeding either breed that she mixed.

·
the party's crashing us
4,245 Posts
Interesting. Sophies father (obviously, your dog's father too) is Montego Silvermist -- an import from Australia that lived in I believe Michigan (or maybe Wisconsin) and died last year. His owner is active in breeding & showing goldens. My good friend handles dogs from her. I actually was in contact with Silvermist's owner, as she hired me a few years ago to design an ad for her. It would surprise and sadden me to know she allowed him to be bred indescriminately and CERTAINLY not with Amish puppy mill type breeders.
If you're genuinely that curious I'd do some more digging with the rescue group. Rescue groups and foster homes love to make up or embellish origin stories to make the dog more interesting or pitiable than it is. That is appealing to the whole "rescue" mentality. To a lot of rescue people, ANY breeder is a puppy mill. I suppose I'm giving the breeder the benefit of the doubt but it's quite possible your girl had a lot less dramatic of an origin story, and simply was a pet given up by a too-busy family.

·
Super Moderator
3,659 Posts
Having owned goldens from breeders and a golden from a rescue I think it would be wise to avoid sweeping generalizations. There are many rescues/shelters that operate with steller intentions and integrity, mostly staffed by dedicated volunteers. There are, I am sure, some that don't. The same can be said for breeders, well monitored and vetted by breeders of integrity on the Forum. Many breeders I am sure adhere to the high standards necessary to protect the line, some don't.

Reactions: GoldenDude

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks!
Dana
I recently bought a Teddy Bear puppy from Brenda Hostetler. She says the puppy is a poodle bichon mix that was bred from a purebred toy poodle and a purebred Bichon Frise. However, I question this and purchased a DNA health kit for dogs. Here's my story:

I thought those were primary retail stores who sell dogs. I didn't thoroughly research the topic before looking for a dog. I found the puppy "Lola" on Lancaster Puppies.com, also on Buckeyepuppies.com. I drove to Dundee Ohio to view the puppy at 6 weeks. Brenda Hostetler is not Amish but she lives in Amish country. She told me from the start that she could not let the puppy go until she was 8 weeks, which was fine with me. In fact it legitimized her as a breeder. She said all of her puppies are healthy and have been vet checked. They would have the third vet check the day before I was to pick up the pup. The mother is an AKC certified Bichon Frise (her dog) and it was mated with an AKC certified Toy Poodle. I have allergies so I thought this was perfect.

Two weeks later, I picked up the pup on a Saturday when she was 8 weeks. I live three hours away so I didn't get home until 5 or 5:30. Brenda gave me a certificate showing that the puppy received three treatments of panacur to deworm the pup. I directly asked Brenda if either the mother or the father had any health issues that I should know about or if the pup had any issues that might help with her care. Brenda said no. The mother was about 3 to 4 years old and didn't have any problems while the father was only one year old and it was too young to determine whether there would be any health issues. However, she did say the puppy wasn't eating. I thought the puppy was a picky eater. Brenda claimed to be a hobbyist and only bred the dog one time per year. But right before I left her house, Brenda handed me a business card showing all of the different dogs she has bred, which includes mini doodles, Bichon Frise, Teddy Bears, and Shih tzu.

That Monday, 1 1/2 days later, I took the puppy to my vet where they diagnosed her with Giardia. I reached out to Brenda and asked her why she lied to me. If the puppy was truly vet checked, they would have known that she had giardia. I didn't bathe the puppy until after I found out she had giardia. Because Brenda didn't lied about her health or lied about the vet check, I allowed this puppy to follow me throughout my home where she potentially contaminated everything with this parasite.

Since I brought this puppy home, my allergies have been so bad that I wake up every night feeling as though my lungs have locked up. My previous dog was a poodle mix and I did not have the reaction that I am having with this dog who is supposed to be two hypoallergenic breeds. Now I am questioning the breed. She looks like a poodle mix, but I'm not sure whether the other breed is actually a Bichon. I have currently ordered a DNA test kit for dogs to determine the breed and the health conditions. She is a sweet and loving dog. But I may not be able to keep her if she is mixed with a breed that sheds a lot. Because she is so young, I can't tell whether this shedding is due to puppy fur only and is temporary or if this is going to be a permanent issue. I have already reached out to the humane society but will wait to contact the department of agriculture and the attorney general's office until I get the test results from the DNA kit.

·
Puddles
4,024 Posts
DNA ? I'm sorry but all of you do realize these are mixed breed dogs don't you? If you want or need a hypoallergenic breed, buy a proven AKC breed. None of these mixes are breeds, just really cute mutts that are plentiful at the shelters. There is no way to have consistency or quality... you purchased a mixed breed dog, what difference does the DNA matter? If the dog isn't working out because of allergies I'm really sorry... but it's situations like yours that cause the shelters to be full.
IF you have a particular need or want in the puppy you purchase, AKC has hundreds of breeds to pick from. These are established dogs bred for a purpose with a standard so you know what you are getting.. personality, traits, size and hair. You will never get this from a breeder that mixes breeds for profits only.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought our Golden from Mervin Shetler, owner of "Finding Tine Goldens," back in 2013! Found them through LancasterPuppies.com. They were super nice on the phone and seemed to be fairly new to breeding at the time. Sent us photos of the parents and litter from their farm in Ohio.

·
Registered
8,064 Posts
I'm sure you love your dog- but the reality is this is not a good breeder as in, makes well-bred puppies out of health clearanced sire and dam.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased a golden doodle puppy from a Brenda Hostetler in Wilmot Ohio. Her actual address in Dundee Ohio. Great lady, fed good food, required I have my vet check him within 7 days and if anything life threatening was wrong she would refund or give me another puppy. Signed a contract. Beautiful puppy in great health
Hello! I just stumbled across your post and I purchased a mini goldendoodle from Brenda back Feb 2020, He will be 1 yr old on Nov 15th..just wondering if yours could be a sibling to mine? Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thank you! I've never seen this site, but it looks like Sophie is full sister to my Molly. Same birth date and parents.:) Was hoping to find something out about the place she came from (the actual Finding Tine Goldens), but again, not surprised. The foster mom said something about Amish folks, so not sure if she was in that type of a situation. Glad she had to have a c-section and couldn't have more babies/was no longer of use to them. We love her so much! Thanks again!
I'm betting it was Amish folks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts