Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone. I recently lost my beloved 8.5 year old male Golden to hemangiomasarcoma. His sudden and unexpected death has left me completely heartbroken and devastated. He is my second Golden. My first female Golden also died of cancer but lived to the ripe old age of 14. As terribly painful as my male Golden’s absence has left me, my home is not complete without a Golden.

I would like to purchase another pet Golden Retriever in the near future, but I want to do all things within my control to avoid another sudden and unexpected death to cancer. While I know death by cancer in the breed is likely inevitable, I want to maximize the odds by doing all the right things when it comes to finding a breeder. The price of Goldens is quite high now, (I’ve been seeing $3k - $4k). I would hate to pay that much for another dog only to have him succumb to cancer at an age that so much lower than even the average age expectancy. I have read a lot on this forum about the pros and cons of k9data. Is there anything else available to support my search for a breeder? I am located in Texas, but willing to fly anywhere within the country for the right breeder.

I will emphasize again that I know that nothing is 100% guaranteed, I am only trying to stack the odds on my side to minimize the likelihood I will be blindsided again and experience the grief and anguish that I have been feeling for past few months. I will be directing the same energy to research minimizing environmental variables and their connection with cancer.

·
Kristy
10,863 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. I understand the emptiness of a home without a GOlden, I hope your search for a puppy will not involve too much of a wait. Here is a previous thread you might look at: 2019 texas breeder thread use the search feature at the top to look at states that would be a reasonable drive or you could get a direct flight. Unfortunately prices are up, it's not going to be a guarantee so you'll need to talk about the breeder's approach to minimizing cancer risk. Unfortunately it's a risk we all live with. Here is another thread for you: Cancer and red flags You were very fortunate to have your first Golden live to 14. I would reach out to Lynn at Cobblestone Goldens in Memphis. I don'[t know about litters planned but she also would be someone with a stud dog who might be siring litters you'd be interested in. Please feel free to ask for help looking at clearances here if you want some input on clearances. No one has a crystal ball unfortunately, but at least a breeder using clearances and genetic testing can try to set up puppies for best possible odds on some of the health issues.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts