Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I, like many others it seems, am looking for a puppy from a reputable breeder in the MD, VA, PA, NJ area and am having trouble finding any with upcoming litters or puppies that haven't already be spoken for.

Does anyone have any suggestions for breeders in this area that may have available puppies in the near future or have any tips on how I can find a needle in the haystack?

Any advice is much appreciated and I hope everyone is staying safe!

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,273 Posts
Welcome!

Have you contacted the GR Club in the areas you are looking for a pup for a Breeder/Puppy Referral?

If not, here is the link to the GRCA's site for referrals-

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi - yes, I reached out to the Chesapeake, Potomac, and Lenape clubs today and have heard back from Potomac thus far. From the sound of it, demand is extremely high for puppies right now and travel restrictions are making it difficult, if not impossible for breeders to produce new litters so I'm trying to find any way I can to improve my chances.

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,273 Posts
Hi - yes, I reached out to the Chesapeake, Potomac, and Lenape clubs today and have heard back from Potomac thus far. From the sound of it, demand is extremely high for puppies right now and travel restrictions are making it difficult, if not impossible for breeders to produce new litters so I'm trying to find any way I can to improve my chances.

Since the restrictions went into place, there have been a lot of new members join who are in search of a Breeder and puppy. And I mean a lot.......

If you find a litter you are interested in, post the parents names here, members will help verify the required health clearances for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha yes that is the impression that I've gotten and I will definitely reach out once if/when I find a litter.

Btw - this forum has been extremely helpful thus far in helping me educate myself on the breed and how to go about my puppy search. I really appreciate all the time and help that you and the other responders put into this forum.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Since the restrictions went into place, there have been a lot of new members join who are in search of a Breeder and puppy. And I mean a lot.......

If you find a litter you are interested in, post the parents names here, members will help verify the required health clearances for you.
New to this Forum, but very thankful for it and everyone's input. I am looking at a several potential litters:

1) Eldorado's I Run Like the Wind & Eldorado's the Force Continues

2) River's Edge Heartache on the Dance Floor & Captivate's Last Chance at the OK Corral

3) Camelot's Deep River Exodus & Madileau's Spring Blush

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

·
Registered
371 Posts
New to this Forum, but very thankful for it and everyone's input. I am looking at a several potential litters:

1) Eldorado's I Run Like the Wind & Eldorado's the Force Continues

2) River's Edge Heartache on the Dance Floor & Captivate's Last Chance at the OK Corral

3) Camelot's Deep River Exodus & Madileau's Spring Blush

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
I'm surprised no one so far has responded to your questions about these specific breedings. I'm not nearly as experienced as some of the forum but I took a quick look at K9Ddata and OFA and these all look like breedings that are worth pursuing... with just two caveats:
1. Eldorado's I Run Like the Wind claims to have gotten heart and eye clearances on 3/24/19 (which will only still be valid if the breeding took place no later than this past March - if you are looking at a future litter, she should really have a new eye exam done before she's bred), but nothing is in the OFA database. If you decide to pursue this breeding you'll want to ask to see the heart and eye clearances and verify dates on the eyes and that the heart clearance was done by cardiologist.
2. Madileu's Spring Blush looks like her heart clearance MAY have been done by a practitioner instead of a cardiologist (hopefully someone with more experience can double check my understanding of what I'm seeing on OFA).

I don't think either of the dogs above are questionable enough to not pursue the breeding... just that you have a few more questions to ask.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys, can you please help me with vetting this upcoming litter - Pendery’s Worth the Wait at Infinite x Amber Rose’s Super Girl bread by Amber Rose Kennel?

Thanks!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Hey guys, can you please help me with vetting this upcoming litter - Pendery’s Worth the Wait at Infinite x Amber Rose’s Super Girl bread by Amber Rose Kennel?

Thanks!
Everything looks good on OFA. Both have hip, elbow, heart and current eyes. Yay! It's nice to check out one with clearances....

Just want to say I do not consider myself an expert at reading clearances. You can see if anyone else chimes in, but these guys have what I would be looking for. I didn't see a test for ICT. If I get a minute I'll dig through the pedigree a little. The bitch does have an NCL test on file which would indicate proper testing has been done.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Amber Rose’s Super Girl has a deficient heart clearance. Hers is done by a practitioner, but it should be done by a cardiologist. Her paternal grandsire doesn't have an elbow or heart clearance. He does have a hip clearance, indicating a possible elbow failure. If the dam had the sufficient heart clearance, this would be a great litter.

Pendery’s Worth the Wait at Infinite checks out okay.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Amber Rose’s Super Girl has a deficient heart clearance. Hers is done by a practitioner, but it should be done by a cardiologist. Her paternal grandsire doesn't have an elbow or heart clearance. He does have a hip clearance, indicating a possible elbow failure. If the dam had the sufficient heart clearance, this would be a great litter.

Pendery’s Worth the Wait at Infinite checks out okay.
Thank you for your insight - for my future knowledge, what does it mean exactly that the heart clearance is from a practitioner? Does that mean that it was done by a regular veterinarian? Also, is there something on K9data that indicates who performed the exam?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Thank you for your insight - for my future knowledge, what does it mean exactly that the heart clearance is from a practitioner? Does that mean that it was done by a regular veterinarian? Also, is there something on K9data that indicates who performed the exam?
I missed it earlier. It means that the heart check was by a normal vet, not an in-depth study by a cardiologist. If you search on OFA by registered name you will see the difference in the heart clearances. Pendery’s list an advanced cardiac clearance and the other lists normal by practitioner.

I apologize for missing it earlier. That’s why I was hoping someone else would look.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Both of my girls are from Caleb, who is the stud you are talking about. I don’t know anything about the bitch.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
k9data is user input, so not every dog is on there and not every OFA clearance is linked.

The dam in question, Amber Rose’s Super Girl, isn't even on k9data, so you'd have to look directly on the OFA database to get her clearance info. OFA will tell you directly - in the "final conclusion" column, it'll say "normal - practitioner" or "normal - cardiologist" or "NORMAL AO/CONG, AUSC ONLY". The last two are acceptable, the first one is not.

If all you have is the ofa# (k9data only lists the number, not the final grade), then the easy way to tell is to look at the last 4-5 characters of the cardiac ofa#. If it ends in P-VPI or P-NOPI, that indicates that a practitioner did the heart cert. If the number ends in C-VPI, or C-NOPI, that indicates a cardiologist did the heart cert.

And if that wasn't confusing enough, there's a third option - the advanced cardiac (ACA) - which will eventually be the only heart cert that OFA will accept (from my understanding of it anyway). The ACA can only be done by cardiologists, so any dog with an OFA ACA# is automatically in compliance with the Code of Ethics. The ACA# for goldens starts with "GR-ACA". The stud of the litter you're looking at has an ACA number.

Hope that helps/made sense.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts