Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I have also come across this, but after doing further inquiries I found the puppies were not as portrayed. I was asked to make a deposit to come see them and then they would make the appointment. I'm not saying this person you are dealing with is not above board but believe a good breeder would allow you to at least come to see the puppies and facility they were being raised in - even in the current COVID conditions. You may not be able to touch them but at least would be able to see conditions and see mom/dad. There are a lot of scammers out there and buyer beware, which is why I asked so many questions and verified there was a reason for the wait. I was really hoping for a different outcome and that there might be a place to find a puppy online but if you do your research and look at reviews you find Parvo or sick animals. It is sad but these people know their stuff, I have read a lot about it (not that it is all accurate). The bottom line if you want a purebred is to be patient and wait the only other option is to go to your local shelters to find a new fur baby. You might have to wait there too until the right one shows up.

·
Registered
8,835 Posts
Well, I'm of the opinion that the sire and the girls @ River are not overly correct conformation/style, and since they have excruciatingly over-used names it is impossible to determine who they are, pedigree wise. It is unlikely (given that they do not list registered names)that these dogs have health clearances. The website is totally useless for doing ANY sort of vetting of this breeder.
Now- is that normal for a great breeder - one you CAN vet and CAN get to know and one who DOES have an informative site to deny visits? I think it is, if the vetting of YOU as a buyer can be accomplished through applicaton/phone call. I don't often hold visit times- but I am super easy to get the gist of. These people are not. From what is on their site, these are not $2500 puppies- they are BYB $1000 puppies. And that $1000 figure kills me- because honestly, I see them as $500-600 puppies but times have changed. Regardless, they were just recently more appropriately priced (per ad on google for that phone#-
golden retriever puppies for sale $200 texas

If you would like to adopt one of these little ones, please contact us at 254-981-4270 . puppies for sale golden retriever puppies 4kGoldenretriever 116 Wood ...)
If you can come up with registered names someone will check for you. It's astounding that any health clearanced puppies would even be available to be honest.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This has been a very informative thread, I thank all those that have submitted responses. Similar to the OP, I too recently lost my companion (not a golden) and I am now looking to open my heart up to another furry friend. I am also frustrated with the long wait, but many of you have explain why that is. I still don't like it, but I understand.

Many of the responders here appeared to be breeders, so you may be able to provide some insight. There is a breeder here in Waco Texas (River Goldens) that state they have some 4 week old pups. I'm old and have old ways and want to see the person I am entrusting a deposit with. I understand the pups are not old enough to go home, but I asked to come out so I could see the pups and the parents and was told due to covid concerns that it all had to be by pictures and that I had to put down a deposit and then pay the reminder when the pup was available for pickup. Is this normal? Something tells me I should come see the facilities and meet the people before I give money.
Usually breeders are happy to show you where the puppies live and how they care for them (although I understand the concerns of strangers exposing the puppies to illnesses). There's some other signs that I see on their website that would cause me to stay away if I was searching for a well bred, healthy puppy from a decent pedigree.

·
Registered
96 Posts
This has been a very informative thread, I thank all those that have submitted responses. Similar to the OP, I too recently lost my companion (not a golden) and I am now looking to open my heart up to another furry friend. I am also frustrated with the long wait, but many of you have explain why that is. I still don't like it, but I understand.

Many of the responders here appeared to be breeders, so you may be able to provide some insight. There is a breeder here in Waco Texas (River Goldens) that state they have some 4 week old pups. I'm old and have old ways and want to see the person I am entrusting a deposit with. I understand the pups are not old enough to go home, but I asked to come out so I could see the pups and the parents and was told due to covid concerns that it all had to be by pictures and that I had to put down a deposit and then pay the reminder when the pup was available for pickup. Is this normal? Something tells me I should come see the facilities and meet the people before I give money.
River Goldens would be a hard pass. This is just a BYB. No health testing, no titles...no nothing. $2,500. for a pup on limited registration...but for a $1000. more full breeding rights. There may be some breeders with restrictions and not wanting visitors....but ethical breeders have a good reputation that follow them. They will give you all the information you need to know about sire/dam (health certs, titles,etc.) and you can follow pedigrees. At this time I can't think of a COE breeder that does not already have a full waiting list. Maybe the other members can give you some ideas for ethical breeders in your area.

·
Super Moderator
342 Posts

No, in covid times you can't demand access to someone and their home, it isn't safe, and while in the past you might think "well then they aren't getting my money" just know that that is probably just fine with them because these days a GR is snapped up before it is even born in most situations and one person's pass on a deposit is another persons joy at a spot on the list. That said, the breeder you mention shows red flags, no health testing is linked or mentioned. They seem to have puppies available to anyone who wants to put a deposit on them, and a reputable breeder doesn't have puppies hanging around unspoken for, not today, not in these times. I would suggest you keep looking for a reputable breeder instead. You'll know it when you see it, the website will have links to k9data.com and you'll be able to verify that all clearances are in place and good. They will have a waitlist. It will be worth it to get a quality, healthy puppy who doesn't end up dysplastic or plagued by Ichthyosis.

·
Registered
47 Posts

Similar to what others said, it makes sense to now allow visits during the pandemic. What worked for me was asking for not only pictures, but also video. I'm more than happy to fly for the right puppy, and I didn't want to visit twice. For my Kira, the breeder was kind enough to take multiple videos over the first 6 weeks to show me updates of how she was doing. Right now, I'm waiting for a golden from Tanbark, and Yvonne was kind enough to mail me DVDs of her dam and a very similar litter last year. I probably won't be asking for anything additional, though, since she'll be choosing the pup for me.

If personal visits are extremely important to you, you can always do so a few months down the road. Chances are, no reputable breeder will have puppies available until (hopefully) the COVID situation is resolved anyway.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts