Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have tried to look into the rescue route for our next Golden. DVGRR is right down the road, but the do not allow adoptions from families without fences and children under 6. We have no fence and will not get one and have a 5 year old. While I understand these policies, not every situation and family are the same. Does anyone know of any quality breeders with older dogs that re available? I know that sometimes dogs do find their way back to breeders for one reason or another. We have contacted our local Golden club as well. Just thought I'd check in with evryone here. Thanks!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Many breeders also retire dogs that are done breeding or done showing and place them in homes as companions, as well.

Older goldens from breeders do go pretty quickly-especially younger ones(in the 1-2 year old range).

Your best bet is to contact breeders in your area and see if they have anything available.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Too bad you are not in the Midwest. Dichi Goldens has a 4 year old male available. They are an outstanding breeder and rarely have young adult goldens available.

Dichi Goldens

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I have no idea what the restrictions are regarding children with Almost Heaven Golden Retriever Rescue, but you might give them a call. I know that they don't always require fences, since we don't have one. (We have an e-fence but don't use it.) They are a bit of a drive from you (in W. Va not far from Winchester, VA) but have a lot of available dogs. You might also keep an eye on Petfinder for shelter dogs. And occasionally people on the forum have dogs that they need to rehome.

·
Registered
13,071 Posts
Those kinds of restrictions make me so sad. I have never, ever had a fenced-in yard, and likely never will. Yet, I have a healthy, fit Golden who gets to run and play ball and go for long walks and swim in the lake and hike in the woods.

Anyway.

Another thing you could try is to get yourself on a waiting list for "failed" guide dogs. These are the pups who have spent their first year being trained and acclimated to every possible situation their blind owner may be in, but just don't have the right stuff for the job. They are usually impeccably trained - just perhaps have a fear of loud noises, or just can't shake their chase instinct.

Good luck. I'm sorry you're having such a tough time finding a rescue.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Do keep an eye on Petfinder. There are far more Goldens down south begging for homes than there are up here. I'm sure many members here will help with transport if you find the right one.

Also talk to your vet! After my girl passed I asked him to keep an eye out for me. That is how I got my Tucker, one of his clients was looking for a home for their 3yr old boy.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Great suggestions here. We got Dolly from a backyard breeder that was going out of business. She did not have great conformation but she had a wonderful temperament. Elliot is a purebred from our local shelter. He was there only 3 days and we were third on the waiting list. Keep looking often at your area shelters.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
I just did an eval on a GR-Collie mix about 8yrs old.
A real sweetheart.........
I'll have pictures tonight in a separate listing.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I have a Golden boy that I got a the age of 10 months that was from a breeder. The pup was not working out for their breeding program and needed a home. Those opportunities are out there...you just need to ask.
That being said even the breeder probably would not have chosen me to have their pup if I did not have a fenced in area. Is there any way you could fence in a run? There is a reason rescues have requirements such as fences. A lot of rescues have already been through a lot and a fence helps to keep them safe from getting lost or injured.
I wish you the best in your search.

·
Princess Muddy Paws
44 Posts
Let your friends and co-workers know you are looking for an older Golden. We adopted our Sammy from a co-worker who is going through a divorce and neither party had the room to keep her. Good Luck! There is someone out there waiting for your home!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts