Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Pup-rearing Newbie
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new here and have been searching half-heartedly for a golden retriever puppy for my family for a little over 2 years and finally decided to get serious. My goal is to bring home a new member to our family in late spring or early summer. I think that will give me the time I need to get my supplies ready, interview a few vets, etc.

I'm extremely nervous about finding the right breeder for us. Google produces thousands of results when I search and the results vary widely from puppy ads on classifieds for $150 to local breeders that are asking upward of $2000 for their pups. I didn't think it would be this hard to find a breeder I can trust: one that raises dogs that are, at the very least, registered with one of the big 3 and treated ethically. I'm also hoping to stay under $600 which is the most I've ever paid for a dog in my life.

I'm hoping that some of you can point me in the right direction. I'm willing to do a fair bit of driving to meet the parents if I can trust that it's at least a promising lead...

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Allison

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
I think you will have a hard time finding a reputable breeder out here (who does hip, elbow, heart and eye clearances) and sells their puppies for $600 or less. Just being honest with you. Is it just that you aren't comfortable paying more? If so I would urge you to reconsider. I had sticker shock initially when we began looking for a pup several years back. But it is SO worth it to have the deck stacked in your favor on the health of your future pup. And to have a breeder who is there to support you for the life of the dog.

If you are open to paying more there are a few breedings I know of in the next few months in various parts of CA and I could give you info for those breeders.

·
Pup-rearing Newbie
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I'm open to more, I've just never paid more than $600 for a registered AKC dog. Bottom line, I want to feel like I'm getting a puppy with the upper hand on health and not being ripped off by a back yard breeder that says all the right things but is just looking to make a profit off of their poor dogs.

I want this dog to be a family member, not a dog to breed or compete in show.
And I clearly don't know what I'm doing!

Thanks again!
Allison

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
It sounds like you're looking for the right things then. It's just that in California (actually almost anywhere in the US) $600 is not going to be the price of a companion puppy from a true hobby breeder (not a back yard breeder or high volume breeder) with parents having generations of health clearances. I would expect to pay about $1500.

There are a few breeders I know with litters expected in the next few months or on the ground right now. Melissa Simpson at Ridgeview Goldens in Bakersfield has 2 breedings planned this year; I believe Sharon Shilkoff at Woodland Goldens in LA has a litter on the ground right now; Artistry Goldens in LA is expecting a litter (if I remember correctly); Laura Franchi at Regency Goldens in Gilroy is expecting a litter I think ....I could keep going. :)

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
I am right in your neck of the woods . I do rescue and there are no breeders in our area that I would suggest, in fact with most I say RUN !! I spent almost a year looking for my puppy and ended up flying to New York to get her. I have never paid anything for my dogs before because they were all rescues, but I happily paid $1,200 for Jordan. There are definitely good breeders in California, but youl will be looking at $900 -$1,500 to get one of their pups and you need to be prepared to wait a while. Good luck and keep us posted

·
Pup-rearing Newbie
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm looking into the breeders Michelle (goldenjackpuppy) recommended. You're right, Claire's friend, everyone of the breeders I have met so far have really worried me which is why I came here. :)

Thanks for the leads, I've got some research to do.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
I'm looking into the breeders Michelle (goldenjackpuppy) recommended. You're right, Claire's friend, everyone of the breeders I have met so far have really worried me which is why I came here. :)

Thanks for the leads, I've got some research to do.
Feel free to PM me with any questions as well.

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
I wish I had known Michelle when I was looking. She is a wealth of knowledge and has just gone through all this (getting a puppy) too. She has been wonderfully supportive in all my adventures with Jordan and I am honored to call her my friend.
If you have any interest in a rescue, you should get me your contact info. I do get puppies, sometimes with all their history and papers.

Reactions: alliruiz

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
I wish I had known Michelle when I was looking. She is a wealth of knowledge and has just gone through all this (getting a puppy) too. She has been wonderfully supportive in all my adventures with Jordan and I am honored to call her my friend.
If you have any interest in a rescue, you should get me your contact info. I do get puppies, sometimes with all their history and papers.
You're so sweet Susan. :)

·
Pup-rearing Newbie
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I am interested in a rescue if it's the right fit... I'll send you info.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Please do check out Homeward Bound:

Homeward Bound Golden Retriever Rescue and Sancuary, Inc.

They have a good website with a great deal of information about enegy levels of different dogs. Most of their dogs are NOT on the website as they have people on waiting lists waiting for the right match up (and puppies) but I think it would be worth your while to check them out. At least check the site and video out.

Both my girls are rescues and I could not be happier. Angelina is turning 11, Cannella will be 3 in the spring. I like getting 1 -2 year old dogs and skip the puppyhood drama since I work full time..they are completely bonded to me and no health issues.

Good luck in your quest!
Kimberly

·
Pup-rearing Newbie
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Silly question here, but I'm about 300 miles away from Homeward Bound. How does that work with a home visit?
Please do check out Homeward Bound:

Homeward Bound Golden Retriever Rescue and Sancuary, Inc.

They have a good website with a great deal of information about enegy levels of different dogs. Most of their dogs are NOT on the website as they have people on waiting lists waiting for the right match up (and puppies) but I think it would be worth your while to check them out. At least check the site and video out.

Both my girls are rescues and I could not be happier. Angelina is turning 11, Cannella will be 3 in the spring. I like getting 1 -2 year old dogs and skip the puppyhood drama since I work full time..they are completely bonded to me and no health issues.

Good luck in your quest!
Kimberly

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
I think Homeward Bound would let me do the home check if needed. I have done them for NorCal Golden Retriever Rescue before.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I would whole heartedly recommend Judy and Ron Inman of Promise Kennels who are in Sanger near Fresno. We just got our boy there about 3.5 weeks ago and he is a joy. Great temperament, easy to train, good around other animals. They do all of the hips, heart, eyes,etc. She is a Breeder of Merit and our boy is out of her Grand Champion Tonka. She may have a few puppies left. Call her if you are interested.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
alliruiz,
I would encourage you to contact, talk to and visit a few breeders homes to decide who you feel comfortable with. I know the people I mentioned to you personally and all are reputable breeders with good reputations. As I said, feel free to send me a PM with any questions.

And if you're open to it, I would encourage you to explore the possibility of a rescue as well, there are a lot of dogs that need homes out there :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Southern California Breeder

It sounds like you're looking for the right things then. It's just that in California (actually almost anywhere in the US) $600 is not going to be the price of a companion puppy from a true hobby breeder (not a back yard breeder or high volume breeder) with parents having generations of health clearances. I would expect to pay about $1500.

There are a few breeders I know with litters expected in the next few months or on the ground right now. Melissa Simpson at Ridgeview Goldens in Bakersfield has 2 breedings planned this year; I believe Sharon Shilkoff at Woodland Goldens in LA has a litter on the ground right now; Artistry Goldens in LA is expecting a litter (if I remember correctly); Laura Franchi at Regency Goldens in Gilroy is expecting a litter I think ....I could keep going. :)
Thank you so much for posting information on SoCal breeders. I have been overwhelmed with my search online. I contacted one of your choices today and I really liked this specific breeder. Thank you thank you!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts