Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After almost 2 months of ringing a bell by the front door when we go out, Pilot FINALLY gets it. It's like it just clicked for him suddenly a few days ago. I'm SO proud of him. I think he rings it too often though. It's funny he'll ring it really loud, then immediately go into whatever room we're in and look at us as if to say "Well??? come on, bitch. Let's go!" :bowl: It's hilarious. I'm just over the moon! I thought he would never give me a signal when he needed to pee. :D

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
That's great news!!! Way to go, Pilot!

I gave up on the bell route with Beamer. Maybe with my next pup!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Pilot!

Congratulations on Pilot's BIG BOY status! I need to put up a pic of Amber since Pilot looks just like a male version of Amber. Striking really when I see him. :wavey:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aw then I know she's gorgeous. ;) he's so funny right now. He wants sooooo bad to play with my two cats. Currently he is bringing all his toys to them and they won't give him the time of day. XD

·
Davina
392 Posts
"Well??? come on, bitch. Let's go!"
this made me bust up ahahahah

I was SO proud when Sharlette used the bells to say she needed out. then started dreading the bells when she over used them.... but it was only a few days of over use before she started only using them when she REALLY needed to go out. YAY for bell users!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol yes I hate to deny him when he rings so we only let him out if he rings after an hour. It's funny if one of our downstairs neighbors comes home and he hears it he slaps the bell like a million times it cracks me up. XD

·
Jill -- Maisie's "Mom"
563 Posts
Hurray!

That's great!

Maisie is a bell-ringer, too. She connives and rings the bells just to go out for entertainment, but now that she's 5+ months, we can say, "Do you need to go out, Maisie?", open the door and if we won't go with her, she usually doesn't want to go without company!

And -- wonder of wonders -- in the last week or so -- when she really needs to go, she rings the bell and whines. Once, she barked when I was slow to put my shoes on and get to the door.

As a next step, her trainer has encouraged us to get her to focus on us now by asking if she needs to go out so that when she's anywhere (the vet's, a pet store, etc., where she doesn't have her bells) , she can let us know she needs to go out. At the pet store the other day, she whined at me, so I took her out and voila! I thought we'd never get to this point.

·
Clare--Watney's mom
88 Posts
Watney has been using her bells for a few weeks now--what a great time of year to hear bells!! She will overuse them too when she is bored and wants us to play as it gets our attention, but we are getting pretty good at differentiating...they are so funny.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Pilot

Wow!! I am so impressed that Pilot knows how to ring the doorbell!!

Pilot sure is a beautiful dog!!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Congrats. Makes life much more simpler when they have a way to tell you they want to go outside. I wish we had trained JJ to use the bells, although, I feel he'd be ringing them non-stop, driving us crazy in the process haha. He whimpers and paces in front of the gate at the top of the stairs whenever he wants to go out. Sometimes he'll do it 10 minutes after we come in. Now, I know he doesn't have to go potty cause he just did. He's just trying to get me to let him back out. I have to stand my ground though and ignore it, otherwise, he'll learn all's it takes is a whimper and i'll let him out.

·
gone
1,443 Posts
I'm teaching Bayne to use the Easy button (from Staples) and touches it for treats right now, I'm going to find a solid way to keep it at the back door for him to touch it with his nose when he needs to go out. Right now I just have to use my instincts to let him out as his signals are very very subtle.

·
luverofpeanuts
154 Posts
Congrats to Pilot for learning to use the bells...and especially when NOT to use the bells.

It clicked for Aspen one day too...and she loves to over use the bells. She's a bell ringing machine now. Now with the temp being being below zero (Farerheit) this morning...we're going to need to start leashing her up when she over rings the bell, so that she learns to only use it for bathroom breaks... not to play. Spirit could care less about the bells. He just lays down by the door when he needs to go out.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Sienna just stands by the door and waits or comes and finds me and STARES at me with this look :D

The one thing we have gotten her to do by accident is ask for more water if her bowl is dry and we don't realize. I had taken to tapping the bowl with my toe to see if the water slightly sloshed as sometimes we couldn't tell. Now I can hear the empty metal bowl make a ping from anywhere in the house LOL as she bumps it with her nose!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts