Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Finley's pop
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After Murph passed away we gathered all of his toys that were scattered throughout the house and yard and put them in a bag in my home office.

For some reason I decided today was the day to finally go through that bag. Tossed those that were destroyed (wow - we bought him a lot of stuffed squirrels!) and set aside those that were still in reasonably decent condition. I fluctuated between tears and smiles -- sometimes simultaneous tears and a smile.

I know Murph will be happy that a number of his toys are getting passed on to our next Golden (now 1 week old) -- and I'm sure he was smiling down on me as I remembered him ripping heads and tails off of numerous stuffed bodies.

Sure miss that guy... what I would give to have another day in the park with him!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Murphy will always watch over you, he was so handsome. I still can't go through Casey's basket of toys. I know it was very hard for you.

Reactions: Karen519

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
Murph was a very handsome boy and he's probably happy that his prized toys will be going to a young one!

It must have been a bittersweet day for you - I always keep one toy from each dog in a special place; none of the other dogs are allowed to play with the chosen toy. Good luck with your pup!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Sure miss that guy... what I would give to have another day in the park with him!

I am so happy that you have a little one to give those toys to. Your murph was so handsome (love the snow:) Buddy always loved snow too. Many warm feelings your way, as you process through this part of the past and new future with you and your new little one! All the Best..

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
I'm sure that Murphy will not mind sharing his toys. It is so hard to do things like sorting through their stuff because it always seems so final. I took out each of my other dogs favourite toys and laid them on top of the boxes with their ashes in.

Hugs coming to you

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
It's always difficult going through our old dog's things. I still have some of Carmella's old toys that I can't even let Flora play with. I'm sorry you lost your boy.

·
Registered
576 Posts
So hard. We kept General and Belle's dog bowls because they came from a local artist. I was finally able to pass them down to our new pups. It actually gave me a warm feeling to watch them share a bowl.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Murphy

Murphy will watch over you always and you will be reunited at the Rainbow Bridge.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I totally understand and sympathize. You're braver than I am - I still have all of Paul's and Simon's toys.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Oh that must have been so hard to do, toys seem to be such a huge part of our dogs lives, they really seem to love them ( to pieces sometimes) so much, how great that you will have someone fluffy to play with them with you soon, something great to look forward to!

·
I miss my Buddy
11,534 Posts
It is hard thing to do, I know the feeling. Buddy had a lots of toys. When he got new toy, first thing he would do go to the back yard and rip it of. Not so many survived. I washed them and gave them to the rescue together with his food, beds and medications. But there are a few I kept, some from the puppyhood. And his favorite one, he carried this one for 6 years, and never ever tried to destroy. I did not wash it, sometimes when it hits very hard I hug this toy searching for his smell on it.
I hope your new puppy will help you get over you grief.

·
Muana's Forever Mom
37 Posts
After Murph passed away we gathered all of his toys that were scattered throughout the house and yard and put them in a bag in my home office.

For some reason I decided today was the day to finally go through that bag. Tossed those that were destroyed (wow - we bought him a lot of stuffed squirrels!) and set aside those that were still in reasonably decent condition. I fluctuated between tears and smiles -- sometimes simultaneous tears and a smile.

I know Murph will be happy that a number of his toys are getting passed on to our next Golden (now 1 week old) -- and I'm sure he was smiling down on me as I remembered him ripping heads and tails off of numerous stuffed bodies.

Dear Ballard Runner,
Thank you for your post. I lost my golden girl 'Muana' on Nov 28, 2011 and in a crazy grief I felt I had to immediately pack up all her items that I didn't plan to keep. They were put in the trunk of the car to be given to the local humane society. In the pile were all of Muana's toys. After I read your post and the other replies to your post I've decided to go back through the pile and pick out Muana's favorite toy (a bright pink striped Cheshire Cat from the Disney story Alice in Wonderland) which I will keep in a special place in her honor. I also plan to pick out the mulitcolored elephant that I gave to her as a puppy 11 and a 1/2 years ago and keep that for when I get another Golden; the elephant is still in great shape! Thank you for making me realize it's okay to carry forward those special items and the memories they carry. I can see from the date of your post that you will soon be bringing home your new little Golden. What a happy time for you :) I know that Murph will have fun watching the new little pup enjoy his toys.

Rest in peace handsome Murph. Rest in peace my beautiful Muana.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts