Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took Max to the Vet yesterday for a weight check, and he has lost 3.5 pounds in the last 6 weeks. Thanks for all the advice and help. I took someones advice on here, and cut his food back by a 1/2 cup until I can get it so he is losing around 1/2 pound a week. I guess I hit the nail on the head with his feedings. He is down to 82 from 86 when I got him in February. Are target weight is around 76 pounds. I can fianally feel his ribs with some pressure, and he is getting much more active, and starting to act his age of 2 1/2 rather than holding down the couch all day.

I also slowly transitioned his food from Pro plan sensitive skin and stomache to Blue Buffalo adult large breed - also put our Westie on the small breed and she is eating much better. We also give them a boiled chicken breast divided over a couple feedings once a week. Didn't really have a problem with the Pro-plan other than the constant FISHY gas, and minor itchiness - but I am hoping most allergies are environmental - live in a pollen heavy area. our westie seems to have more allergy related issues than Max - he just licks his feet, especially after a long romp in the yard. They love this food, and it seems to be one of the best foods we can find in this area - really only a Petsmart to choose from. I looked at every pet store in the area, and only one sold a high quality food (Eagle Pack Holistic) - but it is a little farther from us than Petsmart - and doesn't see to do any business - I would hate to transition to a new food, and the store closes shortly after.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Congrats! Once you know how many calories your dog needs to stay at a good weight, and their are no medical issues, the weight is not hard to get off. It also helps when they may go up a pound or two (because the other half insists on feeding them all sorts of treats when you are not looking) to get it off quickly.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Way to go to the both of you. Good luck with getting the rest of the weight off of him.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts