Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17,548 Posts
He's perfect, I'm so looking forward to watching him grow, you are SO lucky!

·
Registered
43 Posts
My wife and I have been wanting a really large St Bernard for more than several years now, since before we got our beloved golden. Our golden will be turning 7 this June 1st and I'm glad to say he is still in fantastic shape and health. My father used to breed great danes and we love large dogs. Our golden is a large male coming in at 92lbs and very lean, the guy is all size and muscle from lots of activity and good feed since we got him at 8 weeks.

We just moved into a very large house with a very open floor plan, giant fenced yard, and all tile/wood flooring, perfect for having 2 giant dogs and keeping them cool in the summer. We feel in just a couple months the time will be right to get a St Bernard puppy before our golden gets any older. I also happen to be working from home for the next 2 years so I can devote myself full-time to the training of the St Bernard as I did with our golden.

Are there any St Bernard forums just like this golden forum I can join to start reading up? I'm in central/southern CA and would like to find a great breeder where we can get the largest example of a male possible once fully grown. Timeline is flexible through the end of the year and I don't plan on ever showing him so I'm not worried about AKC registration. It's important to me he's had health screenings and comes from a very healthy breeding line, like my golden was. While we aren't concerned with "pick of the litter" since he will never be bred, we would like to have some choice when it comes to playing with the puppies to see if there is one in the litter that seems a good fit for us.

All comments/suggestions welcome. Thanks!!!
I would Google the type of group and location you'd like. It's amazing how much you can pull up from a simple search. Also it may be a decent way to begin looking for breeders.

·
Einstein's handler, lol
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
My golden is a lean 110lbs for reference. The Saint's dad was a lean 200lbs! He was super lean and about 50% larger than any of the other Saints the breeder had (she had several).

·
Einstein's handler, lol
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Atlas turned 6 months yesterday on the 16th and Einstein turned 7 years on the 6th. They are getting along great. The puppy is over 70lbs now. Words can't express how happy we are.

Atlas has also lost 4 teeth (that we've found anyway) in the past 2 weeks. 2 on each side.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,712 Posts
Atlas is growing into a handsome boy, seems like you just got him, can't believe he's 6 months already.

Great to hear he and Einstein are getting along so well.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts