Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Watsonmom
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lovely 7 1/2 month old Watson has been having GI issues and it's so upsetting! I'm wondering if he has developed an intolerance to his food. Does this happen? He has been easily eating his Acana free-range poultry kibble for months, but at the beginning of Sept he vomitted and pooped in his crate over the course of two nights. The vet said he had gastritis and gave him anti-nausea meds and Pepsid and eventually Metronidazole and it totally helped. I had him on a diet of white rice and chicken and eventually transitioned to his kibble again. Two weeks later the whole thing happened again! Poor guy. I hate that it happens in his crate and we don't hear anything and he scrapes his nose up :frown2::frown2: each time. His behavior and energy are totally normal. I just want to know what is going on.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Yes it can happen, have found that my goldens did/do not tolerate chicken in their diet at all. I may be dealing with the same issue with one of my dogs who has similar symptoms, and been on the same food for years. Their bodies change and sometimes it results in sensitivities to something in their food, unfortunately, and it is not easy to pinpoint specifically what it is that is causing the issue. Assuming the chicken and rice diet is helpful, keep him on it for a week, once he is back to normal to give his body a chance to recover. Perhaps try another protein source, try grain free, if he is not on grain free, stay with the same brand, if you can, and hopefully his problems will resolve.

Reactions: watsonmom

·
Super Moderator Leader
51,654 Posts
Welcome to the forum, sorry your guy is having stomach issues.
He's a good looking boy.

What type of poultry is the food you've been feeding him?
A lot of dogs don't do well on chicken and other poultry sources, they do better on fish as the main protein source, but each dog is different.

Hope Watson's feeling better soon.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Chloe can't have chicken. When she was younger her stool was yellow and mushy. We switched back to a lamb grain free they were normal. But she still itched a lot because we think it still had chicken fat. She is now on purina pro plan salmon. No chicken and her itching has pretty much stopped. You might want to find a food with no chicken, chicken fat, or chicken meal.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I agree with all of the above advice. It certainly could be a food intolerance. If it keeps happening it might be worth getting x-rays of the abdomen just to make sure there's no obstruction, as sometimes it can cause intermittent vomiting and diarrhea also. Does it happen after your dog has puppy class and gets a lot of training treats? It could be something like that as well.

A lot of dogs don't do well on poultry, so it could be that. Or it could be one of the carbohydrates (corn, brewers yeast, barley etc). Fish is often more well tolerated, I personally like salmon because its anti-inflammatory. Acana is a great dog food but sometimes the high protein content can be tough for dogs to handle--are your dogs poops really solid, or always a little bit on the soft side? If they are on the soft side usually (leave a little poop on the grass, but formed), it might be too much for your pup.

Unfortunately, its a lot of trying and seeing with stuff like this!

·
Registered
10,554 Posts
Could also be giardia. The cyclical timing would fit giardia. What does the vet think?

I generally associate allergies with itching and scratching.

·
Watsonmom
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I always thought of chicken as being so easy to digest. Thank you for the heads up! I think I need to make a change in his kibble.

·
Registered
10,554 Posts

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Watson

Welcome to the forum. Watson is beautiful. Hope they find out what is bothering him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts