Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here it is my baby Austin's 1st birthday and he and his brother got into 2 nasty fights today. I really thought the fighting had finally come to an end. They have been getting along great for the last few months and all of a sudden, out of nowhere, not 1 fight, but 2!!!! I am thinking both fights were "toy" oriented...

The first fight occured this morning after Austin had gotten his birthday gifts. Lincoln was outside during this time and when he came in, the fight started. Unfortunately one of the new toys was not out of sight and I think that's what precipitated the fight. After that, everything was fine...they went back to being buddies, playing nicely.

The second fight happened tonight out in the field during play. They were doing great until we brought out the balls to play with....one for each of them. Lincoln ended up taking Austin's and when Austin went to get it, Lincoln growled and the fight started....it was bad. It took us awhile to get them apart.....hubby end up with a pretty sore arm.

Naturally, the whole thing has been very disturbing and I'm just sick to my stomach (and in tears) to think they would behave this way again. I'm hoping it was because of the toy situation. This too is odd because we have a house full of toys that they share nicely all the time. I guess we leave the toys at home from now on. They were both pretty submissive when we got back home and are now sleeping in the same room with me (along with older brother Reno).

Both Austin and Lincoln are neutered, have been to 2 different levels of obedience training, have never shown aggression to any human and allow us to do anything we want to or with them. They are typically obedient and do as they're told although they still pull some of the puppy crap!!!

As I'm sitting here typing this, I'm looking at them sleeping and their sweet little faces and wonder how they can be Jeckylls and Hydes.

ANY ADVICE, COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!!

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
Oh I'm sorry you are going through this :( I have no advice, as I have never had any problems like this... hopefully someone will have some answers/suggestions for you!

·
Registered
850 Posts
I have to play ball or frisbee with our two pups separately. When I try to play with them together, Roxy always steals from Elliot and he submits to her. I tried to give them each a new toy for Christmas, but Elliot refused to take his toy to avoid a fight. It seems to work best when they pick out their toys independently from the toy box. If Roxy tries to grab Elliot's toy, I tell her to "leave it", but he eventually gives it up to her.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
When I first brought Caue home I had to pick up all the toys. It was a month or more before I was able to start doling the toys back out starting with the lowest value ones first. I still have to separate them to give them high value treats like marrow bones.

·
Premium Member
16,438 Posts
Did the dogs hurt each other at all? Sometimes, they make a ton of scary noise, but actually have the situation under a little control.No doubt, it's disruptive to your household and would worry me too. However, if not even a scratch shows on either dog, it seems like they are negotiating for who outranks who(?).

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
It sounds like two young adolescent male dogs having a tussle over who is the highest ranking. Hopefully they'll sort it out themselves, but in the meantime I wouldn't be giving them any reason to start, ie putting all toys away.

I think this behaviour is pretty common in male dogs of this age. worrying none the less!

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LJilly28 - Austin ended up with a couple of small wounds but nothing too serious....he appears to be fine.

tanyac - We thought they had the ranking figured out as they have been getting along so well over the last little while.

momtoMax - No, Austin is the middle dog....Lincoln is the youngest.

We believe though, that Austin is the aggressor (much to my dismay). However, he has NEVER shown any aggression towards other dogs...he loves playing with everyone.

It is hard this morning because we feel like were walking on eggshells....I know we have to project positive feelings for them. So far though, they have been okay...still a little sheepish though.

Thanks for your comments!!!! I guess it is back to them choosing their toys out of the box and no playing ball in the field....

·
Murphy's mom
1,063 Posts
It sounds like two young adolescent male dogs having a tussle over who is the highest ranking. Hopefully they'll sort it out themselves, but in the meantime I wouldn't be giving them any reason to start, ie putting all toys away.

I think this behaviour is pretty common in male dogs of this age. worrying none the less!
Think this advice is right on. You have two adolescent males and they are still working out who is top dog. Put away all toys and then start after a while with low value toys. I have also heard to give the top dog attention first. Acknowledge his position in the pack. Other trainers on the forum are probably more knowledgeable about whether this is true.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts