Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
OK, we are all signed up for two hunt tests in December. Our boy will have 4 shots at getting two ribbons. The goal is to finish his JH before his is in winter training in Texas. I worked with our trainers on Friday and our pup is in transition. He will be ready come Spring to run SH tests....it is all so darn fun, that is what it really is about!

More to come later...

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Think I posted this already, but in case anyone missed it. Our boy ended up only having one hunt test to try and get his two passes. We could not go to the first test as our older Golden had a mass removed from her front leg. We were worried but it turned out to be benign! Although her recovery took a couple of weeks...

We ran our hunt test at the Dallas Fort Worth tests last weekend. He ran well in the wind, cold, and rain! He earned both passes and is now a JH...off to a good start. He will go to our trainers, winter camp in January. We will spend a week with them helping train and work him towards his SH level....he is so fun to work with...more later in the Spring...

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
In January our boy was with our trainers in their winter training grounds in TEXAS! This was a scary time for us and our trainers.....

He was progressing very well when this terrible cold, ice, rain, and snow hit Texas. Where they were, lost power and all water lines were not usable except for one in a kitchen area. The house and dog areas had no power or heat with night time temperatures in the single digits followed by day time temps in the teens... My wife and I were scheduled to drive down on the 18th of Feb., for a few days, to work with our boy and the trainers, but we could not get down due to the icy roads, frozen water pipes and freezing snowy weather. Our trainers worked day and night keeping the dogs warm, seeing they were safe, well fed, and exercised when it was possible. They communicated to us daily, keeping us informed. All got though it over the 14 day stretch, in good shape, although I could tell, when it was over, our trainers were worn out! Was scary for all of us, but they got thru it and kept the dogs safe!

I hope others in Texas for training also faired well, it was a high risk time for all caught in the weather...the rural areas in this part of Texas do not have road treatment and plows, the homes are not winter proof, etc. which added to the risks...

Our trainers are resuming training and will continue preparing our boy for his SH tests this Spring. I think he is already at that level, but they will train him to the MH level, just to be sure...

More later in the Spring...

21 - 24 of 24 Posts