Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We dropped our 7 month old Golden off at our trainers place yesterday. Our trainers will work on his obedience and will go through FF routine with him. We previously had taken him through a puppy obedience program and I had worked in our back yard on marking and retrieving a dummy short throws while on 30' lead. Our pup thought this was the best game ever.

After we got home, we got a surprise call from our trainer, he knew we had not put our pup in water yet. It was a hot day so he decided to introduce him to water. All went very well as the pup ventured out in the water to get a thrown dummy. He suddenly hit the 'drop off' and after swimming a few strokes, he hustled back to the trainer, without the dummy.

So the trainer had another young dog go after another bumper, which apparently our pup was not real impressed by this! But, I guess it did something! When our trainer through a dummy throw back our in deep water for, our pup, he went right after it! He marked it, swam out to it, and delivered back to our trainer.

When he called us he said that for a dog that had never been in water and one that had only done marks and retrieves on land...to do this all first time, was really unusual! He said he will video this when they go out today so we can see....Guess we gonna have another Gun Dog!

·
Premium Member
4,545 Posts
So tell us how it's going?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We did initial obedience at home, the trainer has cleaned up any part of that we did not have locked in and expanded it to include sit to whistle, lose leash heel, and walking fetch.

The pup has completed FF ending with collar conditioning. He has been exposed to indirect pressure and also convinced that he can turn that darn collar off!

He has been introduced to water, and doing singles/ doubles in water and lots of exposure to birds, living and dead! He has also been working on land singles and doubles and deliver to hand.

I will have a better picture when we go up for a training day! But I think he is progressing well...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts