Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been researching this topic and I’ve read a lot, but am still not sure which one my pup is. I know he’s American, but he seems to fall in between the 2 types. He’s 8mo and lean, so it may be harder to tell until he’s full grown. Right now he’s 66lbs and 24” tall, so I’m thinking he is either a combination of the two or show.

Attachments

·
Registered
670 Posts
I'm sure others will ask where you got him from and his parents' registered names.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Put a bird in front of him. Take video. There are many on here who can observe and evaluate.

I know of dogs from show lines who are doing quite well in the field. That's not exactly the best way to evaluate lines.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well, unfortunately all I have are the AKC papers and I know that doesn’t show anything. I unknowingly got him from a BYB. I didn’t do enough research about that before I got him...thought if he had papers it was ok. Now I know better. I wasn’t sure if you could tell just by looking at him. I know the field golden is smaller/leaner and typically darker than the show. Right now he’d be at the top weight for a field pup. That’s why I was wondering if there was a combo. When he sees ducks or geese he freezes and stairs at them, but he’s also chased them as well. He’s going through a 2nd fear period right now and doesn’t like loud noises, so I’m not sure what he’d do around gun shots. My in laws have a farm close by that we take him to. I can try shooting around him and video him around the ducks. I was mainly just curious about this, but I’m not planning on making him a hunting dog. Right now this is the only pic of him I have with a bird, ha! It’s a blue herring, so not sure that counts. He does seem more interested in the ducks and geese than the herring, but I’ve never seen him lift his paw and point.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you have the AKC papers, you have the pedigree. Post it here, and someone can tell you what the dogs behind your pup are like. What are the parents registered names?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’ll take a photo of it and post it when I get home. That’s good to know! His dads name was Regan and his mom was Ray Ray, but I can’t remember if the AKC papers have a special name on there.

·
Kate
20,434 Posts
A dog is field or show bred if there are conformation or field titles close behind him. Let's say within 3 generations behind your pup. This is what would show on a standard pedigree on K9data.

If he came from a typical byb - it could be anything behind him.

Odds are likely that you'd have to go 5-10 generation behind with some pet pedigrees to find the last titles in a pedigree and it might surprise you.

There was somebody out there who kept describing her dog as field bred or performance bred.... but turn around and look at the pedigree behind that dog and it was all pet bred going 40 years back and first title behind him was a CH title.

With breeding dogs for dog shows or performance - you have a lot of popular sires showing up behind the dog and tight breeding in some cases. And this is all to reinforce the look of the dogs or the dogs working abilities.

With pet breeders out there - many of them breed dogs if they own them or if they think they are nice looking dogs. But because they aren't specifically breeding for X or Y, they distance themselves from having a set look or style sometimes. Usually they aim to produce nice looking dogs in general. That's probably what you have.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies! Very interesting info! I never knew there were different types of Golden’s until I read the forums and started doing research on the topic. Here’s a picture of his certificate. I just now ordered the 3rd generation pedigree, but I can’t find it on the website. Does anyone know how to find the online copy of that, or will it be sent in the mail?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
that looks like the one you get in email. Just FYI- never post the one you get in paper version as it has the date issued on it and that date is the key to the kingdom w AKC.

So- go to the store, then products and services then pedigrees. Click on shop in the banner on the pedigrees page, and then click on research pedigrees. That comes up online after you pay for it. You can get a 3-5 gen there. Print it and you have it! It's far less expensive than the certified version and you don't need a certified pedigree unless you are selling stud service to another country.
If you want to PM it to me, or email even better, I will finish his K9data page for you- Pedigree: Aidan III the plus to k9data rather than AKC is the ability to see a clearance history, longevity, COI-

·
Puddles
3,087 Posts
They are all goldens.... the purpose for which they were bred can sometimes define the style. People that breed for the purpose of hunting tend to want dogs with less coat, leaner bodies as they work long hours in the field. Conformation breeders tend to breed more towards what will be closest to the breed standard and show well in the ring. The titles before & after the name is what defines the field dog vs the conformation but most conformation dogs are happy to hit the field and work, sometimes they take a little longer to groom after :). And all of them will be happy to learn a skill like agility, obedience or rally or just bringing you your house shoes.
You purchased a dog from a puppy farm where they are doing nothing but producing puppies from 4 different breeds. They have no purpose in mind for their puppies other than to make a living. So guess your pup can be whatever you want him to be :) If you are interested in hunting or doing competition in any venue, find a good training place and put a title on your sweet boy. Then you will define him as a field dog or performance dog.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts