Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I'm looking for a field golden breeder. Right now I'm talking to Surefire Goldens in Kansas and I was wondering if anyone here had a dog from them?

I was also wondering if there are any other field breeders you recommend in the south central area (Texas, Arkansas, Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, maybe Tennessee)

TYIA

* I am aware that field goldens generally have significantly higher energy and drive, that's what I want.

·
Kristy
9,680 Posts
Welcome, if you give an idea of your plans for your dog it may help with the responses you receive. Also if you have a timeline, are you willing to wait for the right breeder to have a litter or does it need to be soon. We have do members in your region who aren't super active here but should have some ideas for you.

·
Kristy
9,680 Posts
I don't live out there, but these are some I've admired west of me, they could be a good place to start a conversation and ask for a referral (also, a really good breeder is worth flying to pick up a puppy):

Vintage Golden Retrievers

Grindstone Goldens

Zaniri Golden Retrievers

Have you tried Retriever Training Forum? Be sure to verify clearances no matter how you are referred.

Classifieds - Golden Puppies

You can also go to Entry Express and search for field events in your region over the past year (you'll have to set up an account) then you can look at the entry lists and running orders and see the names that keep coming up. You would have to verify clearances etc. but it would be a good way to research. Also a fun way to work on call names for a puppy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

Some more info. The pup will be an agility dog and likely compete in other sports. I've never had a golden but I have a high energy/high drive newfoundland (I know, much different than the stereotype). I'm actually working towards being a professional dog trainer so when it comes to training I do know what I'm doing. The dog may also be trained as a back up service dog for myself but I'm not 100% set on that yet.

I'm hoping for a puppy around fall/winter this year but I'm not in a rush

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
You don't have to limit yourself to field breeders. My girl has tons of drive and energy. She comes from a breeder that prefers to place puppies in performance homes. We are working on field, agility, tricks, and obedience currently. All of her littermates excel at different multiple sports. Just something to think about.....opens your options to more breeders.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I prefer the look and build of field goldens as well. I wouldn't be opposed to a mixed line but the grooming requirements will be easier with a field bred dog since show dogs have such dense coats

·
Kristy
9,680 Posts
Thanks!

Some more info. The pup will be an agility dog and likely compete in other sports. I've never had a golden but I have a high energy/high drive newfoundland (I know, much different than the stereotype). I'm actually working towards being a professional dog trainer so when it comes to training I do know what I'm doing. The dog may also be trained as a back up service dog for myself but I'm not 100% set on that yet.

I'm hoping for a puppy around fall/winter this year but I'm not in a rush
Just saw this litter mentioned this morning, looks awfully interesting to me: http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=767500

Not sure what kind of service dog you're needing, but something to consider is that one of the reasons that Goldens can fail out of training for groups like CCI is having a high prey drive. Field lines will tend to have prey drive in abundance. Field lines will have less bulk/bone. A female would be right around the 50 pound mark and males would range just over that, maybe plus ten to fifteen pounds. If you need any physical stability, the lighter, more athletic build of some performance bred Goldens might be a problem. The agility emphasis has caused some breeders to produce smaller Goldens well below the standard.

Have you had an opportunity to go to some performance events and see different dogs in action? If I were you, I would get out to hunt tests, field trials, obedience trials in your region and see if you can watch some of the Goldens in action. The dogs will be listed by registered name so you can get an idea of different breeders dogs. You could also talk to handlers in person after they run and talk to them about what you have in mind.

I do think you will want to make sure your breeder of choice is concerned with producing dogs you can live with. I was watching Golden working in utility at an obedience trial this winter, he was gorgeous and from a very well known breeder whose dogs I hadn't seen listed in our area much. The dog was a hot mess. My obedience friend noted that this wasn't unusual to see with this breeder's dogs. My point being that you know you want more than a "Honda" just be careful you don't end up with a "Lamborghini" before you're quite ready. Really look around a lot before you jump in. There are wonderful hobby breeders who are trying to produce moderate dogs who are correct in conformation and want to work without being off the chart. You might find something you really like with a breeding like that.

Good luck with your search, I hope you'll keep us updated. For the record, I'd love to meet your newfie. We have several at my obedience club and they are conformation dogs who do a lot of water and draft work and are super nice. I am having a hard time imagining what your dog must be like :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts