Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
54,829 Posts
Reminder all, Rule #4 prohibits the posting of available pup(s) on the Forum.

You may send any information you wish to a member via a Private Message (conversation).

If you know of a pup(s) that is available or a breeding that is accepting reservations for a pup, please send that information to member(s) via a PM.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Does anybody have any recommendations on field bred Golden Retriever breeders? I’ve searched for a while on my own and can only find a few that pop up on google searches. My boyfriend and I just bought a house and looking to get a new puppy finally. We’re in the Pittsburgh area, so any breeders around there would be fantastic. I also don’t mind flying to pick up a puppy from the right breeder though either.

Topbrass Retrievers out of Chicago IL ~ Can't recommend enough! These dogs are total athletes and super sweet. I'm on my 4th Golden (2 from there & 2 related same lines). My Topbrass guys were all in the water a 4 weeks and all LOVE to swim. Long lived dogs as well.

Good luck!

I have done my research on field bred Goldens and we both agree this type of dog would be great for both of us. We don’t hunt, but are very active and I would like to get into dock diving or agility with the puppy eventually.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Reminder all, Rule #4 prohibits the posting of available pup(s) on the Forum.

You may send any information you wish to a member via a Private Message (conversation).

If you know of a pup(s) that is available or a breeding that is accepting reservations for a pup, please send that information to member(s) via a PM.
ok; I could not post a PM but only posted the website as info. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I would recommend HIGHLY Ruffwater Goldens in Pittsburgh. Marcy is amazing, her dogs are amazing, and she is very active in all things golden retriever related. I do know she has no puppies right now and will not for quite some time, but I would contact her.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anybody have any recommendations on field bred Golden Retriever breeders? I’ve searched for a while on my own and can only find a few that pop up on google searches. My boyfriend and I just bought a house and looking to get a new puppy finally. We’re in the Pittsburgh area, so any breeders around there would be fantastic. I also don’t mind flying to pick up a puppy from the right breeder though either.

I have done my research on field bred Goldens and we both agree this type of dog would be great for both of us. We don’t hunt, but are very active and I would like to get into dock diving or agility with the puppy eventually.
Look at the blood lines. There should be dogs with JH and/or MH qualifications in the blood lines. Parents should be lean and well muscled but may not have hunting qualifications.
I have owned 2 field bred dogs. One lived to 14 and the second is 3 1/2. The first was above breed standards in height and length. The current is at the height and length standard. Both dogs were lean and well muscled. Between 70 and 80 LBS. They love to run. Both were dark golden, almost red. Both came from same hunting blood lines a few generatons back, but different breeders.
The one caution the breeder said was to limit the exercise until the joints are well developed. Running and jumping can damage growth plates. Repuable breeders should be able to provide all of the clearances.

·
Registered
Golden Retriever 11 year old male
32 Posts

We got our now 4 month old field golden Skippy from a breeder in Ozark Arkansas. He’s already showing signs that he’ll be a natural at dock diving, unlike his big brother Oscar. (As much as he is DRIVEN to get into any body of water he sees, Oscar will NOT jump off a dock or anything else that he can’t climb down).
Skippy’s mother has only been bred once, and all of his litter mates had been adopted out by the time we were lucky enough to find him at 9 weeks old. The breeder has told us that she’s seriously considering having another litter but not until later this year.
If you can’t find what you’re looking for soon, you can email me and I’ll touch base with the breeder to see if and when she might have another litter.
For what it’s worth, this puppy has exceeded our expectations in every possible way. He is incredibly intelligent, learns quickly and has a enthusiastic and playful yet calm temperament. Good luck!

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Comfort Companion dog
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Comfort Beard
Water Plant Flower Dog Plant community

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Look at the blood lines. There should be dogs with JH
A Junior Hunter title means almost nothing.
Breeding a dog with only a JH title is worse than nothing IMO. I would interpret it as meaning that is all the dog is capable of, because I’ve seen it happen too many times.

·
Registered
97 Posts

I'm curious, what about if you eventually plan on having children, though? Are field bred goldens manageable if the owner just had a baby?

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
I'm curious, what about if you eventually plan on having children, though? Are field bred goldens manageable if the owner just had a baby?
Why would they not be? Like any dog, it all depends on how you train them. I think there's sometimes a misconception about what "field-bred" retrievers actually are.

Photos of my kid back in the day, with my highly-driven golden retriever from strong working lines.
Photograph Furniture Vertebrate Product Dog
Nose Skin Dog Tartan Dog breed

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
By manageable do you mean "Someone who just had a baby and now they want to basically ignore the dog 90% of the time other than feeding and expect it to be content with being put in the yard instead of walked and interacted with and not cause them any extra work?" If so, no. That applies to all dogs though. Doesn't matter if it's a field line dog, or not, or not even a golden. They can't be neglected when a kid comes along. A person who is thinking of having kids in the near future would probably do best to not get a dog until after they've had the kid and settled into that life and feel ready for the work of owning a dog.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts