Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a few questions to guage where we are at with Koda. She will be 5 months next week!!

Just wondering when those of you who began feeding their pups 3 times a day weened them down to two? We are fine keeping it at 3 for now but just wanted to get a sense of when we should back down to two.

Also, how quickly did your dogs learn heel? We have been working on it for a little while but not stressing it too much yet. We have been taking her to classes and they haven't even taught it in class yet so we have been doing this on our own. I prefer bringing treats with on our walks and use them when she is being good. My husband doesn't want to bring them because he thinks that is why she is jumping up on us in the middle of walks. Any suggestions on this stuff?

Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

·
Premium Member
18,536 Posts
Unless she seems really hungry I think you can go to feeding twice a day. 5 months is really too young to expect her to be "heeling". She is just a baby, anything you can take along with you to encourage her to focus on you is a good idea. Your training class is probably not working on formal heeling because the puppies aren't quite ready for that yet. Jumping on you during walks is really normal for this age.

·
Kate
22,157 Posts
You can be working on heeling right now... at home and in low distraction areas. We started training the beginnings of heel when Jacks was 8 weeks old. But that was only in our upstairs hallway. We didn't actually use the term "heel" in a class setting until he was 8 months old or so and were starting competition classes.

I honestly don't know if the teachers before that used the term "heel". They may have and I just avoided using it at the time.

Where I went to classes the emphasis for pet training was on loose lead walking and getting a dog's attention when you need to. So it's the very beginning of actual heeling, but much more relaxed. You can definitely work on this when you are out walking. You can bring treats to reward a nice stretch of walking or you can simply stop for a huggle party.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
My boy is 17.5 wks and I really havent worked on heel yet him. He walks nice doesnt pull ahead of me or lag behind if he does lag behind I slap my leg and say come on. If he is pulling I stop walking and get him to focus on me again. I dont care to use treats I like my dogs to be happy with praise and a good boy.

Oh and I only feed twice a day have been for a month now.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Ozzy is about 5 1/2 months and in our class they focus on walking with a loose leash and paying attention to us. They have us use the command "walk" and start walking. When Ozzy is looking at me and not pulling I sometimes give him a treat. It seems to keep him focused on me. If he starts to pull ahead I turn around so he's forced to turn around and catch up to me. They key is not to "nag" and say walk constantly. It helps if you talk to your dog too to keep him interested.

That all said...Ozzy does jump up on me at times and I DO think it's because he wants a treat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts