Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any stories to relate about feral hogs and whether they will go after hapless leashed dogs and owners out for a walk? I just read a neighborhood blog and someone saw a feral hog less than a mile and a half from my house and snapped a photo. Where there is one, there are probably more. I knew they were in the river areas of North Texas, but this is the first report I've heard of them being this close. I want to be prepared, just in case since we walk early mornings before the sun.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I would be careful. If they are hungery or feel provoked I would think they would go after a dog. I had friends on my pitbull forum that hunted wild hogs.
Is this their mating time or is food hard to find?

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
We have them up the mountain behind our house.

DH, Copper and Jack were charged twice in one day while hiking. Copper got just a little scrape where the boar tried to tusk him while Copper was looking the other way (at DH). The boar just ran by, tusked and kept going.

I came up on a group once with Copper and my other golden Chance while trail riding. There were at least 5 hogs that scattered when we came up on them as we came around a curve in the trail. Chance tried to chase one up a bank, but the bank was too tall and Copper couldn't decide just which one to go after - he was grinning so big and so excited.:D it would have been a problem if either of those guys had actually managed to grab a hog I believe.

Two mitigating factors were that those hogs are hunted with dogs so have bad experiences with "hog dogs" that are trained to attack the hogs and also there were piglets with the groups DH saw which caused them to be more protective.

I never had any form of protection since I would just as like shoot my foot off and figured I was safer getting the heck away from things, but (BIG but) I was always on a horse and could get away quickly. DH said he had his hiking stick with him......:doh:
Maybe bear spray would work??? For sure you don't want to make those things mad!

Call your local animal control and see what they recommend.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would be careful. If they are hungery or feel provoked I would think they would go after a dog. I had friends on my pitbull forum that hunted wild hogs.
Is this their mating time or is food hard to find?
We are in one of the worst droughts in history here and last summer was devastating for plants. Since I read they dig up lawns, including nice ones in one of the more affluent communities in an adjacent county, I assume they eat plants (I know little about hogs)? If that is the case then I guess they are spreading out to seek food. There are houses just up the hill the hog was spotted at so I guess they will be the first to experience the destruction. That area also has a nice peacock population. I hope they aren't after the peacocks!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Teresa, the hog photographed didn't have tusks, so I don't know if it's a different variety or perhaps a female? The cyclist that snapped the photo said the hog didn't appear to be unfriendly: “The pig was not afraid of me,” xxxxx says. “After a long stare, the pig walked into the woods. Interesting neighborhood.”, but maybe it didn't feel threatened at the time. By the same token, several cities are now allowing feral hog hunting in city limits and there are reports of destructive rampages by the hogs.

I guess I need to trek over to Bass Pro and get some Bear Spray, if they even sell it down here! I've observed (up close and personal) coyotes, bobcats, raccoons, possums, rabbits, peacocks, nutria and bats. I've smelled skunks and saw a dead one in my alley.. These hogs and the skunks worry me the most! To think we live in the middle of a multi-million population city!!

I'll call Animal Control and/or 911 if I get in harm's way! There was a bobcat terrorizing people in downtown Dallas a year or so ago. They played the 911 tapes on the news and they were pretty funny. :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
God knows I love some of the craziest TV shows:eek:, Hogs gone wild is one of them. They are very dangerous Wild hogs are an invasive species that not only threaten homes, farmland, forest and native wildlife, they also present a physical threat to humans, and can spread deadly disease.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
God knows I love some of the craziest TV shows:eek:, Hogs gone wild is one of them. They are very dangerous Wild hogs are an invasive species that not only threaten homes, farmland, forest and native wildlife, they also present a physical threat to humans, and can spread deadly disease.
oh boy... I think we need a hog hunt if more show up!

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
;)Sows don't have tusks although they do have large canine teeth. The one in the photograph was most likely either a female or young male.

Ohhh!! Bass Pro. I can live vicariously at least - there isn't one near me. Ask there what they recommend to repel a hog if needed. I don't know if Bear Spray would work and it might hurt Toby's eyes...... ask if loud noise or flare would work better. Another advantage to that is you don't have to be able to aim close with a flare.

I was recommending animal control to ask about the best deterant, but Bass Pro might work even better. I could ask some of the local hunters, but they surely wouldn't know how to run one off. They'd scratch their heads and be so puzzled by me - soemtimes that is fun!

I'll get the old "Hooooney, why in the world would you want to do such?".

·
Registered
44 Posts
Does anyone have any stories to relate about feral hogs and whether they will go after hapless leashed dogs and owners out for a walk? I just read a neighborhood blog and someone saw a feral hog less than a mile and a half from my house and snapped a photo. Where there is one, there are probably more. I knew they were in the river areas of North Texas, but this is the first report I've heard of them being this close. I want to be prepared, just in case since we walk early mornings before the sun.
They are rampant here in Louisiana also. I do walk across a field, but only go about 3/4 mile because once when I went further I found a hog carcass. Don't know if it was feral or not. They do cause a lot of damage on the National Forest. To keep them under control 75% of the population would have to be killed every year. And that's an impossibility.

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
We have Havalinas here and they will and have killed dogs. They aren't right by my house but in the Salinas River, which is less than a mile away. I am actually surprised a hurt or lost one hasn't managed to find me. Everything else has, lol. Beware, don't let your dogs mess with them.

Reactions: Dallas Gold

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, hopefully they will stay where they are, which is at the northern edge of a large city park and lake. If they destroy park land at least the City will get to deal with them. They had a beaver problem at the lake with young trees getting sawed in half so they put up beaver barriers.

It's been interesting reading the neighborhood comments on the blog that announced the problem. We may have some vigilante hog hunters running around here if it gets serious and other neighbors cowering in their homes afraid because their neighbors own guns:uhoh:;)! I have enough trouble walking with a leash, stunner LED Flashlight, cell phone, poop bags and miscellaneous walking gear, If I need to carry an air horn or bear spray or strap on a weapon I'm going to need to wear something with a lot of big pockets!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The state has a pretty good website about them. They cause billions of dollars in destruction every year--WOW!

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
OMG Anne, that's awful!!! Let me know if you turn into Annie Oakley of LH. That makes my baby snake (dead) on the front walk really mild.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OMG Anne, that's awful!!! Let me know if you turn into Annie Oakley of LH. That makes my baby snake (dead) on the front walk really mild.
I'm going to send them south, to your end of the lake!! :wave:;)

You do bring up a point though--what if all the water moccasins and other snakes decide to go exploring in our respective 'hoods? I've had the occasional duck visitors in neighbor's pools and one neighbor's driveway, and I've had the baby rat snake in the spa house.....but if I see one of those snakes, you will hear my screams inside your house. :help!:

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
If I found water moccassins at our house, I'd have a heart attack. Several years ago we were at the lake over at the Bath House in the spring and they were EVERYWHERE. Looking out at the water, it looked like tons of little Loch Ness monsters swimming around. They were also all over the walkways. YIKES.

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
If I found water moccassins at our house, I'd have a heart attack. Several years ago we were at the lake over at the Bath House in the spring and they were EVERYWHERE. Looking out at the water, it looked like tons of little Loch Ness monsters swimming around. They were also all over the walkways. YIKES.
I am going to have bad dreams from reading this...and normally snakes don't really bother me !!:eek:

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am going to have bad dreams from reading this...and normally snakes don't really bother me !!:eek:
They are pretty bad here near the lake between Betty's house and my house, after huge floods and rains. We've had them crossing the ring road while we are trying to bike down it and I've seen a few run over by cars.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I hope you didn't have the girls with you!

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
We are having a big problem in E. Tx with the feral hogs too. Food is scarce from the drought and they are getting desperate so coming much closer to fields and homes. Saw a dead one on the side of the road that was huge! The old farmers say as long as no pigglets with them they will run if seen, but with babies they will charge. Yikes! I am also worried and when at our country place we walk a lot in the pastures, but feel the goldens might be able to run, but have lots of worries with my biewer yorkies, they move fast, but cannot keep it up for long, so just "sit". They would be easy kill. So we are not walking except on roads for right now.

The wildlife is really suffering this year because of lack of food. The drought really has had long term repercussions to all our wildlife. Our bird feeders must be filled every day. Poor birds, just not enough wild seed for them this year.

In town, we are seeing skunks! Two were run over just this past week. Stinky smell, and know they are hunting more closely to the neighborhoods for food. Sorry, but geeze the smell - uck! Glad all the dogs are current on their rabies.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We are having a big problem in E. Tx with the feral hogs too. Food is scarce from the drought and they are getting desperate so coming much closer to fields and homes. Saw a dead one on the side of the road that was huge! The old farmers say as long as no pigglets with them they will run if seen, but with babies they will charge. Yikes! I am also worried and when at our country place we walk a lot in the pastures, but feel the goldens might be able to run, but have lots of worries with my biewer yorkies, they move fast, but cannot keep it up for long, so just "sit". They would be easy kill. So we are not walking except on roads for right now.

The wildlife is really suffering this year because of lack of food. The drought really has had long term repercussions to all our wildlife. Our bird feeders must be filled every day. Poor birds, just not enough wild seed for them this year.

In town, we are seeing skunks! Two were run over just this past week. Stinky smell, and know they are hunting more closely to the neighborhoods for food. Sorry, but geeze the smell - uck! Glad all the dogs are current on their rabies.
Is the town you are seeing skunks your city residence or the country?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts