Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering when females typically go into heat (in terms of times of the year)? Sorry about the simple terminology. I know it's different for every dog and every location. Just wondering what a guess might be for a female GR to go into heat in the Desert Southwest? They typically go into heat twice a year from my understanding. Some do once and some are very random. Educate me please...

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I believe it has a lot to do with the breeding of the dog. That is ask your breeder when your pup's mother first went into heat and how often. My Selli went into heat the first time at 13 months and now goes into heat every 9 to 10 months. I know several of her relatives that also went into heat for the first time at 13 months.

·
Shoregold
670 Posts
They can go into heat anytime after their 6 months old. Some of mine started their first one closer to 12 months and some were around 8 - 9 months. I have had some that go into heat every 5 months while the one that is in heat now is every 9 - 10 months. In the past the girls would cycle together which would change things up a bit. How old is your girl?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
times of year?

They can go into heat anytime after their 6 months old. Some of mine started their first one closer to 12 months and some were around 8 - 9 months. I have had some that go into heat every 5 months while the one that is in heat now is every 9 - 10 months. In the past the girls would cycle together which would change things up a bit. How old is your girl?

I'm just curious about when I should start looking more seriously for a new puppy. Guess it doesn't work that way? I was thinking females might go into heat at some point in late winter in order to have puppies in the Spring. Guess dogs are too domesticated to stick to old rules of mother nature? Just seems like certain times of the year you have many puppies to choose from and some times of the year when there are none to be found. Just curious about times of year more than how often one female might go into heat...

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
When are you looking to add a puppy to your family? What areas are you willing to travel to find one? I'm sure we can all help!

·
Shoregold
670 Posts
Sorry they don't work like that. Even dogs of the same breed cycle at different times. You can not buy a puppy a certain time of year hoping you get her heat cycles a certain time of year. My girl now who cycles everty 9 - 10 months used to be every 6 - 8 months. You should just have her spayed and enjoy the puppy.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
Ditto, you are better off to spay your girl and then find a good breeder for a second puppy (or rescue) and then wait for the right litter to come along. Timing is the least of your worries when it comes to finding a pup. I think with Storee and Bender I waited about a year or so before actually having them come home, and there's no set dates for bitches to come into season, they sometimes have other ideas as to when they'll do that!

Lana

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
You should just have her spayed and enjoy the puppy.
I don't think the OP was asking about when to spay his puppy. :confused: It sounds to me like he is thinking about getting a new puppy and trying to find out when it is most common for dogs to come into heat (fall, summer, winter, spring) so he can try to figure out what season he should start his puppy search. Kimi'sDad is that right?

As others said, it varies from dog to dog, but sometimes bitches that live together will come into heat around the same time as each other (just like human females do).

However, perhaps on a purely coincidental basis, it seems to me that in my puppy search over about 2 years, I noticed that most litters in my area were born around December/January, or August/September.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think the OP was asking about when to spay his puppy. :confused: It sounds to me like he is thinking about getting a new puppy and trying to find out when it is most common for dogs to come into heat (fall, summer, winter, spring) so he can try to figure out what season he should start his puppy search. Kimi'sDad is that right?

As others said, it varies from dog to dog, but sometimes bitches that live together will come into heat around the same time as each other (just like human females do).

However, perhaps on a purely coincidental basis, it seems to me that in my puppy search over about 2 years, I noticed that most litters in my area were born around December/January, or August/September.
esSJay,
You are understanding my question exactly right. Just curious when females are more likely to have puppies. I know there are many variables involved. Thanks for everyone's input though. We lost our boy (GR) in January and may be ready for a new puppy in the coming months. Gracie (GR) is ready for a new brother too...

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,588 Posts
Just wondering when females typically go into heat (in terms of times of the year)? Sorry about the simple terminology. I know it's different for every dog and every location. Just wondering what a guess might be for a female GR to go into heat in the Desert Southwest? They typically go into heat twice a year from my understanding. Some do once and some are very random. Educate me please...
Each individual cycles on her own schedule. It might be 6 months, 7 months, 12 months etc, each individual is unique. The season of the year doesn't matter. (In my experience they will come into season in accordance with the heart of the trial, show or competition schedule. :doh: )

Decide what qualities you're looking for in a dog, seek out breeders who breed for those qualities, and get on a couple of waiting lists.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Sorry for your loss. We lost our 1st Golden in April 08 & it took us a while to be ready for another. We got one last March & then added a second one in Sept. If you are wanting a spring puppy, it would be a good idea to find a good breeder & get on a list now. Remember it is 8 weeks after the birth before they go home. So puppies conceived soon will be ready early spring.
Good luck, I know I sure love having 2 together, this is the 1sttime I ever had more than 1.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts