Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like since we got her, she would lick herself after going pee. There are little dark specks right around her girly parts. Two different vets looked at her and didn't seem concerned. The first saying it's common for pups to have utis, they grow out it. The 2nd said it looks like the darkness is jsut discoloration from her saliva ....and that it's normal.

Anyone have experience with this? It's been about 2 months, the dark specks are still there. When I wipe it with a wet towel it is also dark brown. I don't see any discharge.

·
Kate
22,273 Posts
The first saying it's common for pups to have utis, they grow out it.
o_O!

Maybe this is just me, but if my dog has a UTI, I would hope my vet would treat it. Unless the vet meant that they get UTIs less as they get older?

The dark coloring could be from saliva. And that is definitely normal. <- Even her cleaning herself is not necessarily a bad thing. She's keeping herself clean. It's if she gets obsessive about licking herself or seems to be going a lot more often I would be concerned.

·
Registered
324 Posts
While he doesn't have the dark spots, my male does it all the time too. I agree- I don't mind, as it's better than having the drippy, wet piddle hair. I just make sure not to get kisses for a while! :p:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Your vet didn't give antibiotics??

Did he test for a uti or is he guessing?

I would not let a uti go without meds. The infection can get worse and spread to her kidneys not to mention she is probably uncomfortable.

·
Registered
421 Posts
My pup has metallic smelling clear or yellow discharge. She's had it for a long time and is fine. The vet said it was called puppy vaginitis and to keep an eye on her if anything changes.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My pup has metallic smelling clear or yellow discharge. She's had it for a long time and is fine. The vet said it was called puppy vaginitis and to keep an eye on her if anything changes.

Yes! Metallic is how I would describe the odor sometimes. Although I don't notice any discharge (her coat is cream color). But neither vet seemed concerned because she wasn't urinating everywhere in small amounts. I guess I have to insist on a urine sample to be safe. What do I use, tupperware?! :doh:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi - I believe I used a small tupperware container but maybe call your vet first to see if they want you to come get a steril container from them.

When I had to do it for my dog it was really simple - just wait till the pup starts to pee and then slide the tupperware under her.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts