Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
BeyerGoldens
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have two 8 week old Golden retriever puppies male and female. The male -MAXX was the first to start biting the female-MOLLY all over, and hump her. Now Molly is trying to hump Maxx, pees everywhere, and bites him. She also is first to lead outside and around the house. Is she trying to take Alpha and if so how do we train them who Alpha is?

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
You dont structure their relationship - it is theirs to figure out.

However if you want them to have a relationship with you...
Then, personally, I would separate them so they only spend a few minutes a day with each other.

Reactions: beyergoldens

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Relax, they are playing. Females are typically the bosses in the family, but right now they are just having fun.

·
Premium Member
18,566 Posts
The puppies will decide between themselves who is dominant, you have no control over that. It is based on their personality and temperament, there is no training that will make one of them alpha over the one.

All of what you are seeing is normal play though, don't worry right now. I agree with the idea of separating them for training time and for spending individual time with you. That is how you will build your relationship with each of them.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
The puppies will decide between themselves who is dominant, you have no control over that. It is based on their personality and temperament, there is no training that will make one of them alpha over the one.
I agree with this. Bear is an only dog I our family but when he take him to my BFFs who had two dogs, they do boss each other around to establish ranks. Her youngest is very submissive in personality and he doesn't understand why the puppy won't listen to him, so they get in little tuffs (nothing serious - just words. No fights) and the submissive will try to mount Bear and vice versa. Interestingly enough the alpha was decided on day one and even comes to the pups rescue when her brother is being too rude. Women tend to rule the packs in both the dog families I know and the people families. No offense to the awesome male members out there. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
4,621 Posts
Females rule the roost. At least in my experience. Asia became the boss of our male eskie pretty quick and they lived peacefully together for almost 8 years until he left us at 15.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Amazing how dogs sort it out eh? At my place I have had Hank for getting onto three years - he is 10. At the end of January Millie and Nikki arrived. Nikki was the dominant with the two girls. Hank is taking somewhat of a secondary role although there are times when he gets what he wants. Millie while out walking pulls Nikki along with Nikki sometimes not having a great time with that. Nikki rules the roost though amongst the three of them, has tried it with me, however has come to the realization that in my place dogs do not rule, just loved! LOL!

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
When one sits on the other dog's head, you will know who is dominant. The dog on top is the dominant dog. I've never seen other breeds do that (sitting on another dog's head). Have fun with 2 pups!

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,727 Posts
The Alpha in my household is my mama Yorkie, Cozy. She keeps her daughters and 95 pound Buddy in line but takes her orders from me.

They are puppies let them play and work it out on their own.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts