Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are getting a female English Golden in a few weeks and cannot decide on a name. I want something unique- but not too crazy. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
I just had an idea - I know, that's dangerous!
However, several of us have Honey as a female golden's name, including me, because it suits the colour and sweetness of the breed. To find some variation on the name, I looked up a couple of Aboriginal names for honey, and I rather like Girragar, which could be shortened for everyday use to Girra. (G pronounced as in gift)

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
How about a British-inspired name: from the food (Chutney, Chips, Curry, Whisky), the weather (Drizzle, Rainey), places (Derby, London, Dale, Skye, Devon), people (Fergie, Queenie) ...

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I'm just going to throw this out there...I have always waited until I get the dogs to decide on their names. It seems like whenever I have picked a name out in advance (and told everyone what the dog will be called) I meet the dog and discover the name I had chosen really doesn't fit the dog's personality. Our current golden is 2 years old. I am almost embarrassed to admit that it took us 2 weeks to decide on the name Bailey. It just seemed to fit him. I would suggest picking several names and waiting until your puppy is home to choose one.

·
Registered
7,331 Posts
I agree with G-bear. We had a different name picked out for our puppy and when we picked her up my DH said she looked the color of the moon. That was it "Luna", perfect :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree with G-bear. We had a different name picked out for our puppy and when we picked her up my DH said she looked the color of the moon. That was it "Luna", perfect :)
Because our golden is cream coloured we went with cookie but then changed it to kookie to make it a little different, suits her perfectly :laugh:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts