Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Read Only
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a Female Golden at least a year old and unspayed anybody know of one?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Strange, maybe this post was edited? I thought I saw where the OP was looking for a female specifically to breed.

·
Read Only
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah well I'm not looking to breed her now I want to at least have her a year before I would even try to breed her. So that she would be comfortable with her surroundings and with me>

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,843 Posts
I will be the guy to post this, even though this may be taken the wrong way. I am not coming at you so to speak, but coming on here asking for what you are asking the way you are asking it leads me to post this. It's really meant to be educational as it sounds like you are really unaware of the Golden Retriever as a breed and unlike many other breeds you shouldn't be just breeding 2 dogs together.

You don't just breed Goldens on a whim. There are A LOT of health issues in Golden Retrievers and need to do health clearances (4 of them) at a MINIMUM and should be doing a DNA panel roughly 5 different things. Plus you need to have AKC information so you can research the health of the dogs behind the dog you wish to breed. This will let you know if there are serious health issues like NCL, Hip, Elbow, Heart and eye issues.

Reputable breeders, because of this, will never just let anyone have a dog from them that is intact with full AKC registration so that any puppies would be able to be registered unless that breeder agreed to co-own the dog with you or you're a known reputable breeder.

Point being, you just shouldn't be getting a Golden to maybe on a whim decide to breed down the road. Randomly back yard breeding Goldens is a sure way to hurt the breed long term if people just breed just because. A lot of these breeders have bred for decades to produce healthy puppies/dogs and have takesn decades to learn how to know what dogs will help the lines and help correct faults in structure.

·
Read Only
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I get what you are saying let me expound. I have been around all sorts of animals since I was old enough to walk. I have seen breedings helped deliver babies of multiple animals (dogs, cows, horses, etc.). I currently have a Golden that is a Service Animal I trained him and got him registered myself. My Aunt and Uncle have been breeding dogs since I was old enough to remember. My mom has bred dogs for years before she had kids. I have deeply researched Goldens especially before buying them. I know of the diseases that they are prone to and the cancers. Thats why if I did infact breed Goldens I would have them screened for health problems, cleared by a vet, and DNA tested. I wouldn't and am not just breeding on a whim. I love animals especially Goldens. I would make sure that I was bettering the breed and if I wasn't then I wouldn't even consider breeding. Also I am trying to find an adult to adopt before I find a puppy so that i could offer a dog a great life that might not have one before I would buy a puppy who anybody is willing to buy. Sidenote I'm only 14 but I have trained dogs, helped breed and deliver dogs, broken horses, been taught to ride horses by a jockey, my grandpa raises cows and I have delivered 3 or 4 calves. I feel like I am very experienced with animals. Even breeding them, so it wouldn't be on a whim.

·
Registered
721 Posts
You mention being 14, if you would like to many years down the road breed golden retrievers, why not link up with a breeder in your area who shows? You are young enough to earn the trust and involve yourself in the show world, so somewhere down the road if breeding is something you want to do, you could do it with the help of your mentor- a breeder.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
If you’re 14, you are probably very savvy about the internet and research. Dig in deep to www.ofa.org, Golden Retriever Club of America, and K9data.com.

Stop looking for a year old female as it won’t get you where you want to be anyway. Nobody is going to sale a year old dog that is worth adding to the gene pool. Breeders are keeping the very best for themselves so if you see a young dog avilable, first it will by altered and second the breeder is not keeping for a reason that means it is not a breeding quality dog.

You want to shop for a breeder who can also be your mentor. Think about what your goal is beyond puppies. Do you want to do obedience or complete in 4-H? Do you want to show in junior showmanship or in the breed ring like Westminster? Do you want to do tracking or search and rescue? Do you want to do hunting tests, dock diving or barn hunt? Once you have a goal, then find a breeder that is successful in that discipline. Someone who breeds, selects puppy prospects and consistently has success. Reach out to that breeder and see if you can buy a puppy and be mentored. That is the best, easiest and most successful way to become a responsible enthusiast/breeder.

The way you are speaking now and phrasing your request would scare off any reputable breeders. Also, there is not a bunch of young Goldens needing homes. There is an avalanche of puppy shoppers right now and even before COVID a lot of rescues have had waitlists (some several years long) for young Goldens.

·
Super Moderator
890 Posts
You are young. Find a mentor, someone who is willing to let you learn. You can compete in juniors, and learn hands on all that it takes to breed carefully and responsibly. It can cost thousands of dollars to whelp and raise puppies if anything goes wrong. Learn all that you can now and wait until you are older. You don’t want to start out by finding a poorly bred Golden now, breeding her underaged and adding to the backyard breeder problem that we already have.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I was around your age about 5 years ago when I got my boy. I had less experience than you do - he was my first dog, my parents had never had a dog before, I had only ever pet sit dogs for neighbors and people in town. So I'm prefacing this by saying that I do understand where you're coming from/the position you're in. I think your experience lends you a certain advantage, but if you're genuinely interested in getting involved in golden retrievers and doing so ethically, I would recommend you take a couple steps back. Think of breeding as the very final destination, one you may or may not reach depending on how the journey goes.

Get involved in something dog-related outside of your family-related dog stuff. When I turned 16 and was able to drive by myself, I started volunteering at a dog training place. The training aspect of dog ownership interests me personally, so that was the direction I went with. Three years later, I teach multiple classes, do private lessons (occasionally), help assist with aggression/reactivity cases, and help run any trials/events we have. You have a golden now - get involved in something. Start training him for rally and put a title or two on him.

I have a friend who was interested in conformation handling when she was younger. She ended up becoming an AKC junior handler with goldens and Icelandic Sheepdogs. She aged out of Juniors, but now handles semi-professionally (I think) and works for/is mentored by a respected golden breeder by her. She's been involved in the dog world for a long, long time and has yet to breed a litter herself (to my knowledge anyway).

That kind of involvement shows dedication and seriousness to a breeder (imo) and encourages the breeder to trust you. It also allows you to network and meet more dog people - everyone knows everyone in the dog world (especially in the golden retriever community!). There's a breeder on this forum whose daughter attended vet school with one of my agility instructors, and we are on opposite ends of the coast. The more people you meet and the more friendships/relationships you build, the more opportunity comes to you.

I'll repeat what everyone else is saying: find a mentor. There is so much that goes into breeding dogs (before the actual dog is even bred) that can't be learned online or can only be poorly learned through experience - things like evaluating pedigree, learning what good conformation/structure is and looks like, for starters. That would be an amazing starting point before you breed.

There is far more demand than supply of well bred golden retrievers, so the breed needs more good breeders. In 20 years, kids your age and mine will be the next set of good breeders - but please don't rush it. You have a lot of time to produce a litter and do it well. A reputable breeder would not sell a quality puppy to you right now, for all the reasons already mentioned. If you breed a litter now, you would be starting off with a low quality bitch, which would make it infinitely harder to get a well bred bitch in the future.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I will be the guy to post this, even though this may be taken the wrong way. I am not coming at you so to speak, but coming on here asking for what you are asking the way you are asking it leads me to post this. It's really meant to be educational as it sounds like you are really unaware of the Golden Retriever as a breed and unlike many other breeds you shouldn't be just breeding 2 dogs together.

You don't just breed Goldens on a whim. There are A LOT of health issues in Golden Retrievers and need to do health clearances (4 of them) at a MINIMUM and should be doing a DNA panel roughly 5 different things. Plus you need to have AKC information so you can research the health of the dogs behind the dog you wish to breed. This will let you know if there are serious health issues like NCL, Hip, Elbow, Heart and eye issues.

Reputable breeders, because of this, will never just let anyone have a dog from them that is intact with full AKC registration so that any puppies would be able to be registered unless that breeder agreed to co-own the dog with you or you're a known reputable breeder.

Point being, you just shouldn't be getting a Golden to maybe on a whim decide to breed down the road. Randomly back yard breeding Goldens is a sure way to hurt the breed long term if people just breed just because. A lot of these breeders have bred for decades to produce healthy puppies/dogs and have takesn decades to learn how to know what dogs will help the lines and help correct faults in structure.
I couldn’t agree more! Thank you for saying this
I get what you are saying let me expound. I have been around all sorts of animals since I was old enough to walk. I have seen breedings helped deliver babies of multiple animals (dogs, cows, horses, etc.). I currently have a Golden that is a Service Animal I trained him and got him registered myself. My Aunt and Uncle have been breeding dogs since I was old enough to remember. My mom has bred dogs for years before she had kids. I have deeply researched Goldens especially before buying them. I know of the diseases that they are prone to and the cancers. Thats why if I did infact breed Goldens I would have them screened for health problems, cleared by a vet, and DNA tested. I wouldn't and am not just breeding on a whim. I love animals especially Goldens. I would make sure that I was bettering the breed and if I wasn't then I wouldn't even consider breeding. Also I am trying to find an adult to adopt before I find a puppy so that i could offer a dog a great life that might not have one before I would buy a puppy who anybody is willing to buy. Sidenote I'm only 14 but I have trained dogs, helped breed and deliver dogs, broken horses, been taught to ride horses by a jockey, my grandpa raises cows and I have delivered 3 or 4 calves. I feel like I am very experienced with animals. Even breeding them, so it wouldn't be on a whim.
All of this experience is great, but your dogs need to be OFA tested. They need all of their health clearances, etc. and even then, I would not breed them. There are so many responsible breeders that have worked very hard to earn their titles. Just looking for any female Golden seems irresponsible to me. Most responsible breeders will not sell you an adult dog that is not spayed as well. There are so many goldens out there, and I don’t see the need for more from someone who just wants puppies from their dog. I don’t mean any disrespect with this, I just notice this problem a lot.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I couldn’t agree more! Thank you for saying this

All of this experience is great, but your dogs need to be OFA tested. They need all of their health clearances, etc. and even then, I would not breed them. There are so many responsible breeders that have worked very hard to earn their titles. Just looking for any female Golden seems irresponsible to me. Most responsible breeders will not sell you an adult dog that is not spayed as well. There are so many goldens out there, and I don’t see the need for more from someone who just wants puppies from their dog. I don’t mean any disrespect with this, I just notice this problem a lot.
Looking for a Female Golden at least a year old and unspayed anybody know of one?
Also, I wanted to add, I believe in rescuing dogs or getting them from very responsible and reputable breeders. In my opinion, there should be no in between. That is where the problems come from with pet overpopulation and health issues come from, people who have no business breeding. Our golden is from a very reputable breeder who meets and exceeds all health testing. Their dogs are very successful in conformation and therapy work. Their dogs have placed in Westminster, won the akc national championship in the sporting group, and so on. They are committed to preserving and bettering the breed. I have also rescued dogs before. Please consider what everyone is saying before you make an unwise decision. We don’t mean any disrespect, we just care about what’s best for the dog and breed preservation.

·
Read Only
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I actually have been looking into being mentored by a breeder near where I live. I actually train dogs in a variety of things especially service, emotional, and therapy training, as well as obedience. I was just looking into breeding because I have had a lot of people including a couple with 3 Goldens ask me if i was ever going to breed him because they would be interested. I actually have been talking to the breeder I got my boy from. There are several puppies out there that have lined up from reputable breeders with breeding rights. I greatly appreciate all of your advice. I am by no means trying to be a backyard breeder. I love Goldens thats why I would never want to defect the breed only better it. By the way I wasn't trying to brag about all that I have done with animals earlier I just wanted to make sure you didn't think I am trying to be a backyard breeder. If I would ever breed I would for sure have every test done to insure that the pups would be great dogs.
My boy Patriot is a trained service, emotional, and therapy dog hes almost a year old. People asked if I would ever breed and I just started looking into it. I love dogs and would like to start a career as a dog breeder and trainer.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I actually have been looking into being mentored by a breeder near where I live. I actually train dogs in a variety of things especially service, emotional, and therapy training, as well as obedience. I was just looking into breeding because I have had a lot of people including a couple with 3 Goldens ask me if i was ever going to breed him because they would be interested. I actually have been talking to the breeder I got my boy from. There are several puppies out there that have lined up from reputable breeders with breeding rights. I greatly appreciate all of your advice. I am by no means trying to be a backyard breeder. I love Goldens thats why I would never want to defect the breed only better it. By the way I wasn't trying to brag about all that I have done with animals earlier I just wanted to make sure you didn't think I am trying to be a backyard breeder. If I would ever breed I would for sure have every test done to insure that the pups would be great dogs
Would you mind me asking where you got your boy from? Does that breeder test her dogs hips, elbows, eyes, hearts, etc. before breeding and so on?

·
Read Only
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They are a breeder in Oklahoma and yes they have their vet check all of the following. They have been breeding Goldens for 20 years. I was actually able to meet the mom and dad Goldens and they were quite literally perfect.

1 - 20 of 184 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.