Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

My husband and I have been dreaming of getting a golden for years, but we wanted to wait until we had a big enough house and plenty of time to give it the attention it needs. Now we finally do, but I cannot seem to find a dog anywhere!

I've been quite disheartened by my search for a good breeder in Northern California. I've been looking for months, but none of the forums here seem to have recent recommendations, the local GRC has no referrals - and, basically every breeder that comes up on Google has had terrible things said about it on forums here (definitely not what I want!).

Does anyone have a breeder that they'd recommend in the California/Oregon/Nevada area? I know similar threads have been posted before - believe me I have scoured them all! Most of those breeders are out of business, have indefinitely closed wait lists, etc. I really don't know where to go from here at this point, so any help at all is apprciated!

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also live in North Cal (Bay Area) and ended up driving up to WA to get a puppy. I started my research around 2020 June (and thanks for this forum I was able to filter out a lot of breeders, even they are in California) and was lucky enough to get on a list by October, and got my puppy last month. If you don't mind traveling, I could share the breeder info.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
I'm afraid that at the moment the demand for well-bred Golden puppies far FAR outstrips the supply. The best advice I can give you at the moment is to continue your research, narrow your choices down to 2-3 breeders you feel good about, join their Facebook page (if they have one), check in with them every few months to to reconfirm your interest.... and resign yourself to a long wait... :(

Reactions: goldielynn

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I'm in the same boat here in Washington state. I have inquired on a few reputable GR sites with no responses. I'm wanting to title a pup or young adult but to no avail on someone responding. I will drive just about anywhere so distance will not be much of a deterrent. Continued patience and continued searching seems to be in the cards. Good luck in your search.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts